New flow schedule..

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after reading a bunch of threads last night about lowering the flow at night. I decided to give it a shot.

As you can see in the picture. I add wave every 4 hours as well as a 5min 80% constant speed every 4 hours. The flow at night is pretty low.

I woke up this morning at 5am to get ready for work and peaked at the tank and nearly every coral as well as my SPS had polyp extension like I’ve never seen before.

So that leads me to believe. Is it possible that I have TOO much flow in the tank during the day? And that I should tone down the amount of flow during the day?

my guess is that with the low flow I have more polyp extension which means more food intake from the corals?

unless corals typically feed at night so it’s best to lower the flow at night to give them the chance to feed

F2825B34-5B77-494D-8450-37C9BA92F864.png

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same for me but for the most part everything was extended and very fluffy....
I do the exact same as you, and yes, my corals looked better.
And if they look better, to me, that’s the correct flow and right for your system and inhabitants.

When I make changes, the corals decide what is best by them showing good extension and better colour.

Too much flow during the day?
Too much flow during the night?

Sure, but so dependent or what you keep.

I can reach 50x volume during the afternoon although it varies in the 25-50x range.

Soon as lights out and until lights on, 10x + 5 from return.
06D2F0F3-5921-4F14-B308-66234B20D10D.jpeg

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back