New Fluval Spec/Evo V marine tank

kcbend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thanks for adding me to your site. Hopefully I’m not asking too much, but, can I get everyone’s opinions on what you would use to a new nano tank together?
I’m starting a fluval evo V tank and I’m basically new to marine tanks. I’ve had freshwater tanks for most of my life but only one marine tank(25yrs ago). I have the fluval evoV tank and I just 3D printed a media basket and I’d love to get recommendations on everything else that I’ll need. Like, are there better types of sand? Should I get live rock or rock that is dried out to minimize bad things(‍♂️) entering the tank, are there better return pumps than the stock one, do I need a protein skimmer(and is there a really small one that works), is there a really small wave maker that won’t overwhelm the small tank, when cycling should I add a fish as well as copepods and phytoplankton, and with all of the options out there is there an inexpensive light I can use with corals, anemones(opinions welcome on if I should put one in the tank as well) and a fish or two(I’d like small clownfish). Thank you all for any help/info with building this tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Black sand has magnetic particles (can lead to scratching on glass); but it's very much personal preference. If you're going to have any sand-sifting fish the smaller the grains the better.
2. Based on the size of your tank I'd probably just use marco dry rock.
3. No, you don't need a protein skimmer for that size of tank.
4. There isn't really a small wavemaker for that size of tank - your best bet is to use a RFG nozzle or upgrade the main pump,
5. You should cycle first then add a fish. Bio-Spira will let you insta-cycle your tank. Add copepods and phyto after.
6. I believe the Evo V comes with a light, no? Yes, you'll need a light if you plan to have corals, anemones, etc.
7. Two small fish (clownfish) will be plenty for your tank.

OP
OP
K

kcbend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look for small granule sand. Any specific brand that’s better than others?
Dry rock might be easier for me to form into specific shapes and sizes so that helps. I’ll avoid the skimmer for now.
I just saw the rfg nozzle online.
I’ll start the cycle with bio-spira, then add the copepods and phytoplankton then the fish. From what I’m reading online it could take at least a couple of months to cycle is that what I’m looking at?
It also sounds like I can use the stock light to cycle the tank, but do you have any recommendations on an alternative light that will allow me to set a schedule and is bright enough to use with corals/anemone.
Also, the return pump seems pretty weak and a lot of people online speak of upgrading. Unfortunately, every time I search for one they are either too big or seem to be an exact gph replacement. If some has a link to one that works better it would be appreciated. Thanks

dibaser18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Eheim CompactON 1000 return pump it's really good and only costs 40 pound in the UK you won't need a wave maker in there to start if you go with this and I use the fluval pump to mix my saltwater and you've got a back up ready if your main pump dies.

OP
OP
K

kcbend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Eheim CompactON 1000 return pump it's really good and only costs 40 pound in the UK you won't need a wave maker in there to start if you go with this and I use the fluval pump to mix my saltwater and you've got a back up ready if your main pump dies.
Hello, that return pump fits in the fluval spec v return chamber? The dimensions online do not match up with the dimensions on the tank. How did you get it to fit?

dibaser18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, that return pump fits in the fluval spec v return chamber? The dimensions online do not match up with the dimensions on the tank. How did you get it to fit?
Sorry I thought you ment the Evo 13.5 no it won't fit in the spec sorry my mistake.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back