New frag plugs algae prevention?

W00F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone-

When I put a new frag plug in my tank it is prone to algae. I assume due to low amounts of bacteria on the plug to compete with the algae. Similar to a new tank or new rock.

Is there a product to soak the frag plugs in to give them bacteria to compete with algae once introduced to the tank?

I had the idea to put the plugs upside down in the darkest spot in the tank to get bacteria to grow before using as well but I was hoping for a solution less ugly to the tank and faster.

Thanks

OP
OP
W00F

W00F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not drop them in your sump? you won't see them and they still accumulate bacteria
I have an AIO and I thought of the same thing. I’m reluctant to put them back there because it seems I have a small amount of white/clear sponge growing. I had something similar get into the DT and take up part of a ZOA rock. I don’t want the sponge getting into the DT if I can prevent it.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AIO and I thought of the same thing. I’m reluctant to put them back there because it seems I have a small amount of white/clear sponge growing. I had something similar get into the DT and take up part of a ZOA rock. I don’t want the sponge getting into the DT if I can prevent it.

Pretty sure if the sponge is already in the system then it will grow in your DT whether you want it to or not...

OP
OP
W00F

W00F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure if the sponge is already in the system then it will grow in your DT whether you want it to or not...

You’re probably right.
Know any other methods to reduce algae growth on new plugs?
I don’t really have a tank alarm issue. It’s only new rocks or plugs I introduce.

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with algae forming on new plugs I introduce. Aging them in the sump really doesn't work for me, I have some encrusting critters that I would prefer not end up on frags that I intend to sell and a pistol shrimp that will repurpose pretty much anything I "give" him. Is aging the only way to minimize the algae formed early on? Would presoaking frag plugs in a bacterial product like Seed or Microbacter 7 help?

OP
OP
W00F

W00F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with algae forming on new plugs I introduce. Aging them in the sump really doesn't work for me, I have some encrusting critters that I would prefer not end up on frags that I intend to sell and a pistol shrimp that will repurpose pretty much anything I "give" him. Is aging the only way to minimize the algae formed early on? Would presoaking frag plugs in a bacterial product like Seed or Microbacter 7 help?
I was wondering the same thing. Let me know if you try it and how it works.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always soak my Empty Frag Plugs, first in RO/DI Reject Water, then in RO/DI to leech anything out of them.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you have to cure new frag plugs. Especially if they were just made.
I use the back of the toilet. Just dont put the too near the flap. Lol
D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back