New frag reeks - keep or toss?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NancyFish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

NancyFish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2024
Messages
680
Reaction score
206
Location
conneticut
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone gave us a (I assume) green mushroom at a show. As soon as I opened the bag it reeked. I left it in a tub instead of my normal qt tank, and even two days later it still smells so bad? It puffs up a little, I can see a brown underside, and it’s very green. But I can’t get over the smell?

IMG_5624.jpeg


I also have a acan separated with it, that doesn’t smell but it won’t puff up and looks a bit ill. The rock it’s encrusted to is bits of green and messy & has a work or duster?.. Wasn’t sure if there’s any harm adding it to the others & if a dip / replug would help?

IMG_5681.jpeg


IMG_5693.jpeg
 
Those mushrooms can overtake a tank. If you keep it put it on a solo rock on the bottom that can be removed if they get out of hand.

The duster isn't a big deal but the algae.

KCl dip, or toss them, ime. Free ugly frags (with possible pest-hikers) are a toss of the dice. I usually toss dice on a table and dirty frags like these into the dumpster.
 
Those mushrooms can overtake a tank. If you keep it put it on a solo rock on the bottom that can be removed if they get out of hand.

The duster isn't a big deal but the algae.

KCl dip, or toss them, ime. Free ugly frags (with possible pest-hikers) are a toss of the dice. I usually toss dice on a table and dirty frags like these into the dumpster.
I couldn’t even remember what it was (vendor just asked if he could toss it in), I just know it smelled bad since I opened it. I have coral rx pro, you think they could be good with a dip. Or when in doubt toss them out?

I moved everything else to a quarantine tank - none look very happy after the dip & long day being bagged. Hoping they’re all fine.
IMG_5770.jpeg
 
Since you have a QT tank, just keep an eye on them and see what you get.

I don't have a QT and so I have to be very careful what I allow in. I used to dip with Bayer, I still have it but have found KCl to be superior since it is clear and I can see what if falling off, if anything. My favorite vendors don't have a lot of critters on the frags they send me. If they do, or if the frags look like the ones you got I generally cross them off my supplier lists.

The best vendors have pods and brittle stars that I kill when I dip. I have a candlelight service for the dead and feel terrible that I killed the good guys.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new