New Frag Tank Setup

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its about time to get these Frag racks off my main display wall and floor! My new frag tank arrives Wednesday and I cannot be anymore excited to set it up. I was originally going to build a stand to house my RODI resouir on the bottom, my frag tank in the middle section and my reefbot on top...well considering that would take some time a pre built stand was ordered that will house my frag tank on top and my resouir on the bottom. This works out better as I can work in the frag tank easier and actually have my reefbot in a better place on the other side of my tank. The New tank is a 24x15x8in peninsula style aquarium with an overflow. It will have a custom frag rack which can hold 200-240 frags which is extremely helpful as those who have seen my tank know inside it is just a glorified frag tank as of now. Here is a quick shot of the Stand with my ATO on the bottom and me doing a "stress test on the stand". I will be lighting this with two radion xr15's G4's and running the return line off of my manifold for my main display. The drain for the tank will empty into the main displays sump as well. Of course Unions will be used for easy removal of the tank if necessary. Hope you guys will enjoy the few progress pics that will come in the following days/weeks.
IMG_0560.jpeg

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple things were bought/came in yesterday. My New wavemaker, never used this brand for a wavemaker but figured the price was right to try it out! Also got some livestock to help the frag tank look good. The Kole tang which is about 2-3in should be the only fish in the aquarium and has the main job of being there to keep my frags clean as I always try to keep my frag plugs as clean as possible. And 20 snails to help the tang out. Do not worry this tang will enjoy his time in this frag tank until he is too big and will be rehomed into the main display.
687E982C-DC15-4B44-B200-3C207AA74D33_1_105_c.jpeg
4B6D67ED-D830-4DC3-A4A7-56DFE4F9799D_1_105_c.jpeg

Right now the Kole is in a acclimation box in the main display awaiting for her new home
7799AF42-6B0D-4A77-9E95-7ECC8686B16A_1_105_c.jpeg

I couldn't just walk out the store with nothing in hand for the main tank so I picked up a nice piece I hope will grow into a stunning colony! Pictures does not give the Dragon soul torch any justice. My original plan was to purchase a gold torch as I had seen one in person and loved the color. Since they are hard to find a healthy specimen I jumped on the chance for the dragon soul. Never seeing the torch in person I thought the gold torch looked better but after seeing it in person I think either look amazing. I still get the gold highlights with the dragon soul but I also get the purples and green tips. Overall yesterday was a pretty productive day

this photo was taken minutes after placing in the tank. This photo came out awful will post a pic with better lighting soon.
9EAFCF6E-B913-4B20-9124-EAF9A0FC7ADA_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
its probably going to be awhile but if it grows like my hammers it may be a different story lol. The torch has gotten accustomed to the new flow and has gotten the size it was in the store its about double the size!

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got some good news and some bad news. Unfortunately I lost my kole tang a couple days ago due to a parasite. I will be watching all my fish closely feeding a vert nutrient dense diet along with selcon to make sure if they were infected with anything they can fight it off. But the good news was the tank came yesterday and has been completely plumbed and running as of now! The craftsman ship of Advanced Acrylic is great and I am super happy I went with them...I just wish I had the space for a bigger frag tank lol as I have filled the new one up already. Here are a couple pics of the progression and aftermath enjoy :)

Great Packing to protect the tank in transit
IMG_0617.jpeg
IMG_0618.jpeg
IMG_0619.jpeg

Custom Frag Rack that holds 148 Frags!+ some room to spare
IMG_0623.jpeg

Top down under Full blues at 43% intensity
IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

Peep the "DP's Mint Chip Sarementosa" Frags and my soon to be newly released chalice "DP's Ring of Fire"
IMG_0639.jpeg

FTS will come tomorrow as I can finally clean the whole Front pane for the first time in over a year

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ended up adding the second radion just because I thought I would get more par at less intensity...I was wrong lol still looks like I will have to ramp them up to 100% intensity at ab+ but will do it slowly since this is only a 8in deep tank and the rack sits at 6in. Overall colors seem to be stable. Once I make room in my frag tank I plan on doing a little experiment to test out blackbox color vs radion color. rn I have a coral I got from a friend of mine and those will be one test subject for now.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back