New Frag tank

LikeRichMahogany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup a brand new frag tank this week. And my Zoas won't open, I put in a candy cane frag and it died overnight. Salinity is at 35 PPT, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all measuring 0, with a salifert ammonia kit and nitrite kit, and a Hanna nitrate kit. Salinity measured with Milwaukee digital refractometer. Alkalinity is at 11.3.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Welcome to R2R!

Is the alkalinity the same as your display tank?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N

no, I keep my alkalinity in my Dt around 9.5. could that swing affect Zoas?

Well, what else could have killed your Caulastrea over night? But that really isn't THAT bad of a swing though? I don't know, anything you did differently that you overlooked?

OP
OP
LikeRichMahogany

LikeRichMahogany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were any of the new corals, newly cut frags? With coral healing taking place, toxins maybe present. Some carbon would take care of that. Just thinking outside the box.
I wish, but I will run some carbon just as a precaution. Is there any way to drop all on purpose?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish, but I will run some carbon just as a precaution. Is there any way to drop all on purpose?
“Drop all”? Toxins on purpose? Not sure what you’re saying.
also was the frag tank cycled?

OP
OP
LikeRichMahogany

LikeRichMahogany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Drop all”? Toxins on purpose? Not sure what you’re saying.
also was the frag tank cycled?
Sorry that was supposed to say drop Alk.

Anyway, no the tank wasn't traditionally cycled, I just used existing media from my display tank. There are no fish in the tank, yet, only corals

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that was supposed to say drop Alk.

Anyway, no the tank wasn't traditionally cycled, I just used existing media from my display tank. There are no fish in the tank, yet, only corals
Cool. To answer your question. Dropping Alk comes naturally as the corals take it in. That’s why we dose because corals appetite for Cal and Alk. If you’re not in a place where your corals are taking up more alk and cal than water changes can provide. Then and only then is it time to start dosing.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If and when I have to setup any new tank, I used the display's water. Of course this depends on size, I like to use 50% old and new. If possible 75% old and 25% new.. I am not sure if you used brand new water or old tank water.
Also, filter media from old tank is a good idea. But, 100% new water takes a long time for bacteria to establish. Which this can really irritate anyone and anything going in it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back