New GE Silicone ii Mold-Free?

reefcandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

want to know how many of u guys use ge silicone 1 for window and doors or ge silicone 2 same for window and doors used on your tank or sump. some people say that ge silicone 2 is not safe for aquarium most people use ge silicone 1 for they tank so today i go to my local home depot get some silicone for my diy sump all i can fine is ge silicone 2 i have read the back of the instruction it say is FDA compliance for aquarium and the front say MOLD-FREE but i still didnt get it for the Safety. i can remember for the ge silicone 1 the instruction say NOT FOR USE BELOW THE WATER LINE OR IN AQUARIUM.

so should i get the ge silicone 2 for my sump.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard nightmare stories from the 2. Total loss from use in sump build. If have to use one get the 1. Home depot has aquarium safe that would be good for sump just little more expensive and small tube.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exclusively used GE I on the sumps I've built......NOT GE II. I too have heard stories. Just make sure you allow it to cure for a couple days, and GE I will be fine.

Eric81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.....I made a sump out of GE II Shower and bath. Crashed my whole system.....devestated!! Turns out that the Shower and Bath has a mold inhibitor on it (this is basically cyanide that kills mold if it tries to grow on the silicone), that leeched into my tank almost immediately and started killing stuff. If you use GE Silicone, make sure that it does not have a mold inhibitor in it!!!

Going forward, I will only use silicone made specifically for aquarium use. It may cost $10 or $15 more, but would have saved me at least a grand in lost livestock.....

My advice is to just be safe and buy the aquarium type.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used GE 1 numerous times, from baffle installs to constructing frag tanks with no issues. You just have to make sure it cures for a minimum 24 hrs

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding that there is actually no anti mold additive in GE II. It is a neutral cure silicone (as opposed to GE I being an acetyl cure). Neutral cure apparently results in superior performance with plastics and provides some inherent mold resistance. It is also a more toxic cure process. Either GE I or II will be fine if given adequate during time (at least a week).

mikey_p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i myself and and a buddy have both used ge II silicone on sumps and overflows with no problems we just let dry for a week or 2 if not longer

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding that there is actually no anti mold additive in GE II. It is a neutral cure silicone (as opposed to GE I being an acetyl cure). Neutral cure apparently results in superior performance with plastics and provides some inherent mold resistance. It is also a more toxic cure process. Either GE I or II will be fine if given adequate during time (at least a week).
The tube even says its fda approved for incidental food contact.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back