*NEW* Giesemann Aurora V8 LED/T5 hybrid

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running mine for a bit over a month and overall it’s a very good light. Working on a full review but with a toddler and stuff time to film longer segments has been limited.
If you want you can check it out in action on my IG until I’ve finished the darn thing.

Are the T5's fan coolled?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have impressions? I’m thinking about 2x 900mm for my 200x80cm tank

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for better aesthetics than ATI PM. Either Aurora V8 or Straton.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have impressions? I’m thinking about 2x 900mm for my 200x80cm tank
I’m running a 1500mm pro model over my tank with the same measurements. If I wanted rock all the way out on the edges and wanted to grow acros there I would probably opt for 2x 900 units but I’m doing fine with the 1500.

Here are some pictures if you’re interested https://www.instagram.com/viking_reefing/?hl=en

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks even better in white.
Only ever white for me, but the ATI is still too bulky and boxy for my living room. We take aesthetics very seriously here!

@MichaelE thanks for the link but I don’t use social and can’t view it. I don’t actually have a lot of rock but I’m thinking about two for future flexibility (in the winter I run halides, in the summer I want something with less heat) and I have an H. Magnifica that’s near the left edge of the tank.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only ever white for me, but the ATI is still too bulky and boxy for my living room. We take aesthetics very seriously here!

@MichaelE thanks for the link but I don’t use social and can’t view it. I don’t actually have a lot of rock but I’m thinking about two for future flexibility (in the winter I run halides, in the summer I want something with less heat) and I have an H. Magnifica that’s near the left edge of the tank.
Right. In that case there’s some decent views on my YouTube channel as well that you should be able to access https://youtube.com/channel/UC4ihQCHGMjICy3kVpV5i8uw

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are insanely powerful the 900mm one has an output of up to 510 Watts! I cant see why anybody would ever need that over a 3ft tank. Most people would be running two radion xr15s on a tank that size lol.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are insanely powerful the 900mm one has an output of up to 510 Watts! I cant see why anybody would ever need that over a 3ft tank. Most people would be running two radion xr15s on a tank that size lol.
Most people are using weak butt lighting ;)
Honestly you can pump in a lot more light with T5’s/halides than you can with pure LEDs.
My 1500mm unit has an output of 1100w and wouldn’t mind more hehe

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people are using weak butt lighting ;)
Honestly you can pump in a lot more light with T5’s/halides than you can with pure LEDs.
My 1500mm unit has an output of 1100w and wouldn’t mind more hehe
Yes but nowadays nobody can afford to run 1-kilowatt lighting systems...

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but nowadays nobody can afford to run 1-kilowatt lighting systems...
I must say that I didn’t see much of a bump in electricity consumption when I upgraded from somewhere in the neighborhood of a 500ish watt light to this thing. Being in Sweden my heaters run most of the year and the heat from the fixture kind of offset that a little bit.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say that I didn’t see much of a bump in electricity consumption when I upgraded from somewhere in the neighborhood of a 500ish watt light to this thing. Being in Sweden my heaters run most of the year and the heat from the fixture kind of offset that a little bit.
I noticed that with my T5s unit as well. When the lights were on full blast my tank heaters never came on. So if i swapped to led i probably wouldn't be saving anything as the burden of heating the tank would just move to the heater.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cost is a non-issue for me, but I agree - halides keep the heaters from being on nearly so much, both in the tank and in the house. The other half of the year I want to switch to Auroras’s.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back