New girl

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing really close to that area, but there are a lot of options under an hour drive. House of Tropicals is the closest in Glen Burnie. They have a good selection of fish and some coral that might meet your needs depending on your taste. I have never had issues with fish from there but they sometimes have some unhealthy looking specimens.

CTE Aquatics in Timonium is smaller but they have a decent selection. They keep up to date with their facebook page, so you can keep an eye on what they have in stock before making the drive. The coral selection is limited but most of it is healthy and colorful. I have actually only bought food and supplies from them.

Fintastic Aquariums in Frederick is my favorite but it is an hour drive for me. They have a great coral selection and a pretty good selection of fish and inverts as well. They also have some type of specials almost every week.

There are some others North of DC that are within driving range but I have not been to them. WAMAS is the biggest reef club in that area. Mason Dixon Reef Club is a great club if you don’t mind driving an hour or so for meetings. Both clubs have members who sell some nice frags from time to time. They also both sponsor frag swaps a couple times per year.

OP
OP
Dixie_reefer

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! We don't mind driving to shops and stuff! We currently only have one small shop on our town and drive an hour and a half to Nashville to a bigger one. I will check out your suggestions! ❤

olivia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House of Tropicals has a great selection of fish as mentioned and corals are so so. I also have been to Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring, and they have some selection of saltwater fish, but I can't remember about the corals.

House of Tropicals is my go-to for fish, supplies needed asap, and live food.

If you do find some great corals in the area let me know!

OP
OP
Dixie_reefer

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House of Tropicals has a great selection of fish as mentioned and corals are so so. I also have been to Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring, and they have some selection of saltwater fish, but I can't remember about the corals.

House of Tropicals is my go-to for fish, supplies needed asap, and live food.

If you do find some great corals in the area let me know!

I am bringing my corals with me and have a few nice colonies I am looking to sell. I am taking my tank in another direction. <3

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't live up there anymore, but I am in that area often. I am at Andrews AFB a couple times a month. Spent a little time at Fort Meade years back. What is your plan for the tank?

OP
OP
Dixie_reefer

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello and welcome to R2R! please share some photos if you have a setup. you have definitely found a great place.
Oh I'm not new to r2r, I'll just be new to the Baltimore/D.C. Area lol. I've been reefkeeping for almost 6 years. I'm getting the tank ready for the move.

OP
OP
Dixie_reefer

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't live up there anymore, but I am in that area often. I am at Andrews AFB a couple times a month. Spent a little time at Fort Meade years back. What is your plan for the tank?

I'm keeping my large Duncan colony, zoos, shrooms, and a few other pieces I can't do without and putting them in a 7.5 deep blue rimless. The RSM is going to be the home of a fuzzy lion. I had a zebra when we were in El Paso and I miss him terribly. My bigger colonies will go in there until I find them new homes. I'm starting from scratch on both tanks. New rock, sand, everything. Say a prayer for me haha.

olivia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keeping my large Duncan colony, zoos, shrooms, and a few other pieces I can't do without and putting them in a 7.5 deep blue rimless. The RSM is going to be the home of a fuzzy lion. I had a zebra when we were in El Paso and I miss him terribly. My bigger colonies will go in there until I find them new homes. I'm starting from scratch on both tanks. New rock, sand, everything. Say a prayer for me haha.
Congrats on the new startup! I hope the new direction goes well. (Not trying to slam any stores but caution buying live rock from the place I mentioned earilier.)

OP
OP
Dixie_reefer

Dixie_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new startup! I hope the new direction goes well. (Not trying to slam any stores but caution buying live rock from the place I mentioned earilier.)

Thanks! I plan on starting with dry rock after the move. I am having THE hardest time with red and green bubble algae, I just want a clean slate lol.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Not much around here. House of tropicals is about the best close to this area. The place in Frederick recently changed there name and location but I have made the trip a few times and it’s pretty decent. I have been talking with your hubby at work and we will have to swap some frags once I get my system back on its feet again.

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the area. I’d very careful buying livestock from House of Tropicals but it’s large and fun to look around. Tropical lagoon in Silver spring seems relatively decent but small. Steer clear of the one in Rockville (can’t remember name)- many dead deceased fish, etc. A new one popped up on yelp “myfirst.pet” in Columbia but I haven’t been. Spoke to the owner and they open by appointment. Also fairly new so stock was limited. Keep us posted if you find something good.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back