New Goby "Stole" another's pistol shrimp

OnePuffMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am not searching correctly to find an answer, but here goes...

I brain farted this weekend and picked up a pink spot goby thinking it was the same as an orange diamond (I wanted a sand sifter). I put it into the DT and it "stole" the pistol shrimp that my yellow watchman had bonded with. Since the pink spot is 5", the smaller watchman didn't have a chance.

I bought a second pistol and put the YWG in with it during acclimation (they seemed to do well) then put them into the tank together on the opposite side. The shrimp has dug a spot, but the YWG has gone back to its old side and is moping outside of the old cave.

Should I just be patient and wait for him to find the new one or should I force him over there to find the other shrimp? It is eating, so I am not too worried yet. There is likely no way I am getting the pink spot out, and I really want to keep the YWG.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the goby "steal" the pistol shrimp really? Or did the pistol shrimp leave the lazy, can't find a job, sits on the couch all day playing computer games. For another goby that is bigger and more stable with a real job, and could actually see a future with him?

OP
OP
OnePuffMan

OnePuffMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the goby "steal" the pistol shrimp really? Or did the pistol shrimp leave the lazy, can't find a job, sits on the couch all day playing computer games. For another goby that is bigger and more stable with a real job, and could actually see a future with him?
I'm not sure if this is a joke, but I am going to answer if not (it is funny, regardless).

They worked well together and built something amazing. They went on trips together and seemed inseparable. The YWG brought food and (seemingly) joy to the shrimp. The PSG literally swam in, went "mine!" and YWG left because PSG is 3x his size.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back