New/Good way to change bulbs without shocking corals

reefman88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

Not sure if this is new exactly but I have not heard it mentioned before. Lately I have been playing around with my bulb combos on my t5 fixture and I realized that what I am doing is actually a good idea. Obviously with LEDs this won't work but with others it might. I change one bulb out every 2 months on my 6 bulb TekLight so by the year end I have changed out all my bulbs without a drastic change in PAR levels.

Some things that this helps with......
-Shocking corals with a 50% increase in PAR
-Having to switch photoperiod to adapt corals to new light
-Having to put screening or light diffuser over tank for weeks after a switch
-Allows you to slowly spend the money on new bulbs and not have to make a big purchase at once.
-Lets you try new bulbs with your current lineup

Cons.......
-if you order your bulbs online you have to pay shipping on every individual bulb

Overall
It is just an idea and I am not sure how it would work with halides but it might work to change your supplemental lighting 6 months after changing your halides. On the shipping note....support your LFS, if you join a local reef club maybe you can get a discount that makes the shipping less of a factor. Some of the stores in my area give us 15% off our total purchase, easily offsetting shipping costs.

HTH Some of you!!

OP
OP
reefman88

reefman88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To figure out what to replace just do...... 12/# of bulbs you have=how many months between each single bulb change.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still order your bulbs at the same time, just change them out on a stagger. ;) No individual cost for shipping.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back