New Gorgonian

SAPPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i bought a new gorgonian today, I believe its a Purple Candelabra. Its not long been in and looking great. It is a really nice deep purple with light purple polyps.

20180325_185949-01.jpeg

20180325_190323-01.jpeg

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks beautiful. I have to try these one day. Seems to me people don't really talk much about them.

OP
OP
SAPPER

SAPPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to get a couple more photosynthetic ones in different colours.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love gorgs! Is that gsp on your back wall??

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful gorg.

The reason not many people have them or talk about them is they are very difficult to get happy in a mixed reef. I have now raised over 16 species of gorgs over the past 7 years. I still have over 8species in my large 210g tank.

If you have one or two gorgs in your system, that is fine and everything will be fine. However, add the wrong one, let them grow too much, add too many more and you will begin to see issues with other corals. LPS will begin to not grow, similar with sps. Then over time, they will begin to recede. Most softies are okay if they are large or noxious.

Some gorgs can wipe out lps overnight (happened to me). Really depends on the species. I have done many tests on my system with lps, sps, softies, etc and over time, the gorgs kill them all. I will not go into all my testing unless really wanted. Again, I have very large specimens and lots of species. This may contribute.

These guys are very good at spitting out toxins too. Just be careful in case you are allergic. They also need food!!! Do not rely solely on light, they will not thrive long.

Some safer ones that get along nicely with others: captive grown Grube's, Eunicea.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! Been trying to get mine growing up it but it's not nearly that nice!

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful gorg.

The reason not many people have them or talk about them is they are very difficult to get happy in a mixed reef. I have now raised over 16 species of gorgs over the past 7 years. I still have over 8species in my large 210g tank.

If you have one or two gorgs in your system, that is fine and everything will be fine. However, add the wrong one, let them grow too much, add too many more and you will begin to see issues with other corals. LPS will begin to not grow, similar with sps. Then over time, they will begin to recede. Most softies are okay if they are large or noxious.

Some gorgs can wipe out lps overnight (happened to me). Really depends on the species. I have done many tests on my system with lps, sps, softies, etc and over time, the gorgs kill them all. I will not go into all my testing unless really wanted. Again, I have very large specimens and lots of species. This may contribute.

These guys are very good at spitting out toxins too. Just be careful in case you are allergic. They also need food!!! Do not rely solely on light, they will not thrive long.

Some safer ones that get along nicely with others: captive grown Grube's, Eunicea.
Always something new to learn!
Thank you for the toxicity info.
I knew they weren't picked on too much, but had no idea they shared that toxicity extensively in the water.
We have a small Grubes and a pretty yellow one so far. About 1.5 years now.
cead33fa6314d5800629ed5a368f1153.jpg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he was asking what the dimensions are of your tank, spell check sucks sometimes :rolleyes:

OP
OP
SAPPER

SAPPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display length 50.5″, width 27.5″, height 25”. Its the Red Sea S500

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
gorg1.jpg
Easy to raise and water flow a must as it moderate lighting

gorg2.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back