New growth in reef tank- harmful?

ryansreefrocks

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what this is? It seems to be growing along the base of the zoanthid plug and now one of zoanthids is shrinking in. Please help! And thanks!



IMG_7852.jpeg
 
Ryan,
Use white light to help with identification. I do’t see anything, however, if you don’t like what you see, then take plug out and use tooth brush dipped in peroxide and brush the offender away.
You could give it a 10 minute bath in a 10% solution of 3% peroxide.

I see this is your first post. Welcome to r2r. Consider starting a tank journal in members tank forum.
 
Ryan,
Use white light to help with identification. I do’t see anything, however, if you don’t like what you see, then take plug out and use tooth brush dipped in peroxide and brush the offender away.
You could give it a 10 minute bath in a 10% solution of 3% peroxide.

I see this is your first post. Welcome to r2r. Consider starting a tank journal in members tank forum.

Can anyone tell me what this is? It seems to be growing along the base of the zoanthid plug and now one of zoanthids is shrinking in. Please help! And thanks!



IMG_7852.jpeg

It does look like something is growing, but the picture is not clear enough to see clearly
It almost looks like cyphastrea or similar encrusting coral got onto that frag plug and is up onto the zoas. is it hard or soft? Can you remove it?


And welcome to Reef2Reef!
 
Is it hard or soft?

If it is hard it looks like an encrusting coral to me, which you might be able to gently peel off the zoa mat. You could also cut off the portion of the frag plug where it is hanging over the edge and glue it to another frag plug - free coral!

But if it is soft I might be wrong and Mr. Mojo could be right!
 
Is it hard or soft?

If it is hard it looks like an encrusting coral to me, which you might be able to gently peel off the zoa mat. You could also cut off the portion of the frag plug where it is hanging over the edge and glue it to another frag plug - free coral!

But if it is soft I might be wrong and Mr. Mojo could be right!
It is hard feeling like my jack-o’-lantern
Is it hard or soft?

If it is hard it looks like an encrusting coral to me, which you might be able to gently peel off the zoa mat. You could also cut off the portion of the frag plug where it is hanging over the edge and glue it to another frag plug - free coral!

But if it is soft I might be wrong and Mr. Mojo could be right!
I think I might try that….looks and grows like my jack-o’-lantern lepto
Is it hard or soft?

If it is hard it looks like an encrusting coral to me, which you might be able to gently peel off the zoa mat. You could also cut off the portion of the frag plug where it is hanging over the edge and glue it to another frag plug - free coral!

But if it is soft I might be wrong and Mr. Mojo could be right!
I might try that it looks like my jack-o’-lantern frag … maybe it will change color.. thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new