New Guy From Northern California

Clemenza

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2020
Messages
84
Reaction score
119
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Hi from Benicia! I found this site a few months back & gained some really great insight (not new to fish tanks or saltwater in general, but definitely a noob with regard to corals!) & decided to register.

EDIT: Currently I have a 40gal TruVue Aquasystem with about 20 lbs of live rock both in the back under the filters as well as front display area with an Eshopps in-tank nano protein skimmer. 1 wave maker to help with a little extra water movement. Going to be adding an ATO soon.

Tank parameters:
pH 8.1
Ca 435
Alk 9.9
Mg 1325 (a little low)

Here's where I've traditionally struggled:
Nitrates: 5-10
PO4 - .5

Consistent weekly water changes of 5 gals of homemade saltwater (RO/DI) with Red Sea Reef Coral Pro salt...daily top offs with RO/DI mixed with kalkwasser

3 fish: A black & white clown, a royal gramma, & a bi-color blenny (or as I call him, the thief)
invertebrates: a cleaner & 2 peppermint shrimp, an emerald crab & a few varied snails (nassarius, turbo, etc)
Corals: basically it's mixed....A Hammer, Frogspawn, an Elegance, small duncan w/3 heads & more starting to grow, a very small hollywood stunner chalice, some assorted zoas, a birdsnest, 1 favites frag, a few small psamacorra & some, a leather toadstool, a 3 headed candy cane, 3 small ricordeas, & some green star polyps

Concerns & where I'll be digging for clues: The Elegance coral (obv) as it isn't looking how it should (puffy tentacles & not fully open); the Duncan & the hollywood chalice - both haven't really grown much after several months of direct feeding, and the Nitrate/Phosphate conundrum.

I hope to help as much as I'm helped along the way!

Have a good one!

Dave
 
Last edited:
Welcome to R2R!
Wtr2r29.gif
 
Welcome to R2R!!! We’re glad you’re here!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new