New Hanna Gear

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the Copper Checker, so for me it would come down to how expensive the reagent refills are. If it's the same price as for the current Checkers then I'll probably stick with test kits.
I recon it will be the same regents as for individual testing kits.
My question is - does it require reagents? If not I’ll buy it. I’d it does - not a lot of reason to.
Of course it requires reagents. That colours the water.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well see, most reefers already have at least 2 or 3 Hanna's and it would be a stretch for folks to pay for what they already have.
If it were half that price, perhaps...

I'll just keep looking for a Magnesium kit .... hopefully soon.
+1 on the Magnesium tester. What test are you using @G Santana ?
Magnesium is the test that gives me the most trouble on the Mastertronic. I'm currently using a combination of Red Sea vial and "tritator" with Aquaforest reagents.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Magnesium tester. What test are you using @G Santana ?
Magnesium is the test that gives me the most trouble on the Mastertronic. I'm currently using a combination of Red Sea vial and "tritator" with Aquaforest reagents.
I'm using Salifert for Magnesium, really keeping fingers crossed on a Hanna Magnesium. Right now I feel that the Salifert gives a good ball park reading but I'd love to have a Hanna hard number.

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully those winners will show up here and let us all see what the mystery box is? Very curious, although I won't be purchasing unless it is something very convincing since I already have the nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, and calcium checkers.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the other hana checkers easier to use? I bought the low range nitrate checker and after watching one video I packed everything back in the box and decided to use my salifert....

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Salifert for Magnesium, really keeping fingers crossed on a Hanna Magnesium. Right now I feel that the Salifert gives a good ball park reading but I'd love to have a Hanna hard number.
I like the Hanna checkers for their ease of use but I would not consider their results a hard reading. As with every other test kit, I take them with a grain of salt.
I have both the testers and their "Calibration Check Set / Standard Kit" and in some cases the margin of error can add up to a relevant number. For example, the nitrate HR says it has a ±2.0 ppm accuracy and the check set I got says ±3.8 ppm. That means that I could get up to 5.8 ppm error.
Regardless of that, I feel much more confident with the Hanna results vs their manual color matching counterparts. The other ones are way too imprecise for my taste, I just looked up the Salifert Nitrate color chart and it goes from 10 to 25. I don't think that's very useful. I think that by the time you notice a problem, it would be too late.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the other hana checkers easier to use? I bought the low range nitrate checker and after watching one video I packed everything back in the box and decided to use my salifert....

The lr nitrate is famously a PITA. I've only used the phosphate checker, but its collect tank water, put in get baseline reading. Add reagent shake for 3 minutes put back in get result. Getting all of the Reagent out of the packet can be a bit of a hassle but otherwise.
Hopefully those winners will show up here and let us all see what the mystery box is? Very curious, although I won't be purchasing unless it is something very convincing since I already have the nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, and calcium checkers.
lol its what I linked you can see on the box its the Hannah Marine Master which is now posted on their website.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low range nitrate checker is the only one that is just plain bad. I think they should recall it. It just gives them a bad image.
The rest are great to work with. I bought the new Nitrate HR and it is great. The low range just became a paperweight.
Even the calcium that some people complained about is good in my opinion.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lr nitrate is famously a PITA. I've only used the phosphate checker, but its collect tank water, put in get baseline reading. Add reagent shake for 3 minutes put back in get result. Getting all of the Reagent out of the packet can be a bit of a hassle but otherwise.

lol its what I linked you can see on the box its the Hannah Marine Master which is now posted on their website.

The low range nitrate checker is the only one that is just plain bad. I think they should recall it. It just gives them a bad image.
The rest are great to work with. I bought the new Nitrate HR and it is great. The low range just became a paperweight.
Even the calcium that some people complained about is good in my opinion.
thanks for the feedback guys. I'll give them another shot in the future. I probably should have given the low range checker a search on the forums first.

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, the nitrate HR says it has a ±2.0 ppm accuracy and the check set I got says ±3.8 ppm. That means that I could get up to 5.8 ppm error.
That's not really how margins of error work. A ±2.0 ppm only means that Hanna believes that there is a 99% chance of the result being in that bracket (and a lot of companies overestimate their accuracy). It could be 50ppm out, it's just very unlikely.

AB Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally love mine! Used it this weekend for the first time and tested 4 tanks fairly quickly!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back