New Hanna magnesium NOT CONSISTENT?

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review. Hopefully it gets straightened out. Digital testers may seem like a toy to a lot of reefers but they’re a quite a few of us out there that can’t perform titration tests with our eyes so these really become a necessity. I’ve been holding off getting one until more reviews come in. Man, if you think that’s inconsistent try having non-reefers try and perform titration tests for you….ha
So much this! In my case though I suffer from fine-motor control impairment since childhood, making normal drop-counting titration tests unbearably painful to perform.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new products sometimes are not worth the hype (immediately anyways).... hanna low range nitrate checker and radions g5 at launch are examples.

Luckily Mg isn't as important to narrow down as Alk.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much this! In my case though I suffer from fine-motor control impairment since childhood, making normal drop-counting titration tests unbearably painful to perform.
I feel ya, I was hit with vision loss and ms at the same time a couple years back so I know how impossible it is. I wish R2R had a section on helpful tips and tricks for people with difficulties!

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new products sometimes are not worth the hype (immediately anyways).... hanna low range nitrate checker and radions g5 at launch are examples.

Luckily Mg isn't as important to narrow down as Alk.
The low range nitrate def a fail

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review. Hopefully it gets straightened out. Digital testers may seem like a toy to a lot of reefers but they’re a quite a few of us out there that can’t perform titration tests with our eyes so these really become a necessity. I’ve been holding off getting one until more reviews come in. Man, if you think that’s inconsistent try having non-reefers try and perform titration tests for you….ha
I hope that was a joke but I am confident that I did my test consistently lol

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel ya, I was hit with vision loss and ms at the same time a couple years back so I know how impossible it is. I wish R2R had a section on helpful tips and tricks for people with difficulties!
That is an awesome idea!! I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't one already?

There is a section of the forums to make suggestions like these, and the mods, and admin do read them.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to go color blind, and titration tests suck big time for me. Luckily I can still see the color shift on salifert tests.

Comparing color cards to a test vial is certainly no bueno.

Love my hanna's because of this, but think I'll pass on the mag tester until more reviews, good or bad come out.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that was a joke but I am confident that I did my test consistently lol
I wish I was joking! I’ve had family, neighbors (there’s no fellow reefers nearby that I’ve found) perform tests for me. I try to calmly explain the procedures and how critical it is to be as perfect as possible but man, talk about all over the map! Everything from the color never changed, putting the b reagent in before the a reagent, mixing up the sample with rodi, it’s hard not to get frustrated with people trying to help you sometimes.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sent you a PM

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to go color blind, and titration tests suck big time for me. Luckily I can still see the color shift on salifert tests.

Comparing color cards to a test vial is certainly no bueno.

Love my hanna's because of this, but think I'll pass on the mag tester until more reviews, good or bad come out.
Exactly, Hanna has been a life saver. The readout is pretty large too. I agree on Salifert with contrasting colors, Red Sea seem to like shades of blue, ugh. And anything with a color card or wheel forget it!

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I was joking! I’ve had family, neighbors (there’s no fellow reefers nearby that I’ve found) perform tests for me. I try to calmly explain the procedures and how critical it is to be as perfect as possible but man, talk about all over the map! Everything from the color never changed, putting the b reagent in before the a reagent, mixing up the sample with rodi, it’s hard not to get frustrated with people trying to help you sometimes.
I believe you but again I am confident that I did it right since there are only two steps lol

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just cross checked with salifert and it gave me about 1280 vs Hanna at 1495 fyi

Attachments

• 78A9AAF1-62EA-416D-99FC-247674FD8511.jpeg
    78A9AAF1-62EA-416D-99FC-247674FD8511.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 26

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone has suggested but what I do is get apex calibration fluid and test all my hanna against that, well atlest dkh, ca, mg that way I know how far out they are as well

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use gloves? I recommend not touching the vial with your bare fingers and wiping it clear with a clean lint free cloth each time before and after, as well as storing rodi water inside the vial between readings (and rinsing the vials with rodi water between each use).

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use gloves? I recommend not touching the vial with your bare fingers and wiping it clear with a clean lint free cloth each time before and after, as well as storing rodi water inside the vial between readings (and rinsing the vials with rodi water between each use).
No gloves but wipe off with napkins and looked through the light to make sure it’s clean. Yup I rinse them all with rodi. As I mentioned above, I am confident that I have done it right. Hopefully they will send me a replacement that’s not way off

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish someone has the same checker and do a couple of tests see where they’re at. I do appreciate all the comments btw.

Back