Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I was the only one who was left in the dark, but some German sites show:
  • HI783 Hanna Marine Magnesium Checker
  • HI784 Hanna Marine Ammonia Checker
I'm so glad I won't have to do any more titration tests. Anyone else is very keen to try out the new magnesium checker?

The Magnesium one is scheduled for release on April 15 in Germany.
Range: 1000-1800 ppm / Resolution: 5 ppm / Accuracy: ±5% of the reading at 25°C
By google-translating the manual on Hanna's German site, it seems pretty easy to use.
  • Prepare your "blank" with 4 ml of reagent A, plus 5 ml of unreacted sample
  • Put the "blank" into checker, press the button, wait for C2
  • Get the "blank" out of the checker, add 1 ml reagent B. Invert 5 times.
  • Put the reacted sample back into the checker. Press button once. (no waiting time), the display shows the result.
The ammonia one looks a tad more complex:
Range: 0-2.5 ppm / Resolution: 0.01 ppm / Accuracy: ±5% of the reading at 25°C
  • Prepare your "blank" by adding 14 drops of reagent A and one sachet of reagent B to 10 ml of unreacted sample.
  • Shake the "blank" gently for 30-45 seconds, and let the "blank" stand for 30 seconds to eliminate bubbles.
  • Put the "blank" into checker, press the button, wait for C2.
  • Get the "blank" out of the checker, add 12 drops of reagent C. Invert 5 times.
  • Put the reacted sample back into the checker. Press and HOLD the button. After a 15 minutes wait, the display shows the result.
The steps of the ammonia checker remind me a lot of the Red Sea ammonia test. Same reagents: two droppers, one powder. Same wait time: 15 mins.

Schermata 2022-03-05 alle 20.42.10.png

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate doing the red sea magnesium test. I can't wait for it to come out, but I'll probably wait to see reviews before buying. Although the steps seem pretty easy, unlike the LR nitrate that everyone was excited for.

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the magnesium one works better than their calcium checker. :)
Well the calcium one is inherently flawed because of the miniscule amount of the sample water, no? This one uses a much larger amount of sample, and no RO/DI with potential traces of mag / calcium.

Last edited:

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate doing the red sea magnesium test. I can't wait for it to come out, but I'll probably wait to see reviews before buying. Although the steps seem pretty easy, unlike the LR nitrate that everyone was excited for.
I am with you! Takes forever to test. I don’t know how many times I lost track on how many single drops I put in when mixing in between each drop. But I do love the accuracy!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At best it goes bad quickly. Read a thread recently it does better in the fridge.

My bigger issue is just drastically inconsistent reagents(ie 2-3dkh variance between two newly opened bottles). At first I thought i just got really unlucky a couple times but have seen enough people with same issue i wont waste any ore money on it.

As a side note....selling hanna alk checker(and some bad reagents) cheap :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the calcium one is inherently flawed because of the minuscule amount of the sample water, no? This one uses a much larger amount of sample, and no RO/DI with potential traces of mag / calcium.

That would be an improvement, yes. :)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At best it goes bad quickly. Read a thread recently it does better in the fridge.

My bigger issue is just drastically inconsistent reagents(ie 2-3dkh variance between two newly opened bottles). At first I thought i just got really unlucky a couple times but have seen enough people with same issue i wont waste any ore money on it.

As a side note....selling hanna alk checker(and some bad reagents) cheap :)
Maybe it's because mine is fairly new, I just bought my first reagent refill, but mine has always been consistent with my red sea kit and my trident. So far in my experience it's the best checker they make. Hopefully my opinion doesn't change in the future.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience I included on that thread has been I get consistent readings until I get a bad regent or when get to bottom of my regent. Even seem some clumps in it. This is why refrigeration may help. But when it’s good it’s good

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's because mine is fairly new, I just bought my first reagent refill, but mine has always been consistent with my red sea kit and my trident. So far in my experience it's the best checker they make. Hopefully my opinion doesn't change in the future.

Ya hopefully you always have good luck with it i just not willing to risk it anymore. I use the elos and the salifert now. I do still use the phosphate checker just cause my eyes cant do the color shade test kits well.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
610 nm...that means this could be the first salicylate method ammonia test ever in Hanna's entire product line!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI. I have not had an issue with the Hanna tests in years, once I stopped using the same syringes, tips. My testing has been pretty consistent. There is an operator error every once in a while :oops: :D

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's special about it? I'm curious.

Nessler tests will turn an unreadable brown color when used with some water conditioners. The reagents contain mercury and should be disposed of as hazmat.

It's very rare to see Nessler ammonia tests.

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nessler tests will turn an unreadable brown color when used with some water conditioners. The reagents contain mercury and should be disposed of as hazmat.

It's very rare to see Nessler ammonia tests.
The manual does say "modification of the salicylate method. The reaction between ammonia-ammonium and the reagent causes a blue-green coloration of the sample."

I wonder if you could then also use it to test your rodi effluent without buying a freshwater ammonia checker just for that. It'd be useful for those who have chloramines.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I was the only one who was left in the dark, but some German sites show:
  • HI783 Hanna Marine Magnesium Checker
  • HI784 Hanna Marine Ammonia Checker
I'm so glad I won't have to do any more titration tests. Anyone else is very keen to try out the new magnesium checker?

The Magnesium one is scheduled for release on April 15 in Germany.
Range: 1000-1800 ppm / Resolution: 5 ppm / Accuracy: ±5% of the reading at 25°C
By google-translating the manual on Hanna's German site, it seems pretty easy to use.
  • Prepare your "blank" with 4 ml of reagent A, plus 5 ml of unreacted sample
  • Put the "blank" into checker, press the button, wait for C2
  • Get the "blank" out of the checker, add 1 ml reagent B. Invert 5 times.
  • Put the reacted sample back into the checker. Press button once. (no waiting time), the display shows the result.
The ammonia one looks a tad more complex:
Range: 0-2.5 ppm / Resolution: 0.01 ppm / Accuracy: ±5% of the reading at 25°C
  • Prepare your "blank" by adding 14 drops of reagent A and one sachet of reagent B to 10 ml of unreacted sample.
  • Shake the "blank" gently for 30-45 seconds, and let the "blank" stand for 30 seconds to eliminate bubbles.
  • Put the "blank" into checker, press the button, wait for C2.
  • Get the "blank" out of the checker, add 12 drops of reagent C. Invert 5 times.
  • Put the reacted sample back into the checker. Press and HOLD the button. After a 15 minutes wait, the display shows the result.
The steps of the ammonia checker remind me a lot of the Red Sea ammonia test. Same reagents: two droppers, one powder. Same wait time: 15 mins.

Schermata 2022-03-05 alle 20.42.10.png
@ taricha and converted the API ammonia test to be read with the low range silica tester, 610 nm, with similar specs as above.

The sachet likely contains a chelating agent like sodium citrate to keep calcium and magnesium from precipitating at high pH of the test. The first liquid is probably the salicylate and the catalyst, and the last reagent is the bleach. There are alternative reagents they might have selected to stabilize the baseline, like an alternative catalyst.

On a separate note, we are modifying the API nitrate test to be read with the Hanna high range nitrate Checker. So far we seem to have beat the HR NO3 test in sensitivity. It is like having an HR Checker that reads up to 50 ppm but with the sensitivity of the LR NO3 Checker, reading down to several tenths of a ppm. If the good news stands up to rigorous testing, I am sure there will be a Eureka! post that will share the details.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back