New head or Pest?

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this Duncan coral that has been forming bulges. And overnight they have cracked open/caved in.
I don’t know if this is how Duncans grow new heads or it’s some sort of burrowing pest.
the brown tissue within the cracks doesn’t give much confidence

B02E78AB-3DC6-45D9-91AF-005ED85093D0.jpeg CD192E88-59A1-44FC-987B-693C14D26867.jpeg

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this Duncan coral that has been forming bulges. And overnight they have cracked open/caved in.
I don’t know if this is how Duncans grow new heads or it’s some sort of burrowing pest.
the brown tissue within the cracks doesn’t give much confidence

B02E78AB-3DC6-45D9-91AF-005ED85093D0.jpeg CD192E88-59A1-44FC-987B-693C14D26867.jpeg
New head

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of looks like there used to be a polyp in the middle of the second pic. In all honesty it’s hard to tell at that stage. In my experience with Duncans, new polyp formation is closer to the top edge of an older developed polyp, if that makes sense. I always would see new polyps form right underneath the skirt of mature polyps but that’s my experience.

OP
OP
liddojunior

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of looks like there used to be a polyp in the middle of the second pic. In all honesty it’s hard to tell at that stage. In my experience with Duncans, new polyp formation is closer to the top edge of an older developed polyp, if that makes sense. I always would see new polyps form right underneath the skirt of mature polyps but that’s my experience.
Yeah I’m not sure but mostly concerned the hole and crack are not good signs! I really like this coral. Has huge heads and vibrant green face

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be too concerned. The amount of flesh surrounding the skeletal structure tell me that the coral is in great health. I would be concerned if the flesh would be receding & exposing the white of the structure, that would tell me the coral definitely doesn’t like something.

OP
OP
liddojunior

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. Maybe dip it and see if something falls out, Id be interested in seeing what comes out of that.
So I did that. Brown gunk came out and now it just looks like clean skeleton flesh.
It looked like coral poop. Nothing living look like it came out

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back