New heater shopping

kodi3100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use the fluval m series heaters mine is getting old and would like to replace before it fails the fluval looks nice but seems to have mixed reviews
Any input would be appreciated

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the poop on heaters.....regardless of the brand, run all heaters through a controller, because all heaters will fail....period!!! If you don't have a full blown tank controller, consider a Ranco, or you could also DIY a controller for around $30 - $35.

I'd also suggest you run two heaters, undersized, so that when one craps out, and you see your tank at 74 degrees, but everything is still alive, you know you have a bad heater.

Now, all that being said, my favorite heater is the Eheim Jager....the thickest glass of all glass heaters. The only thing I don't like is that they are long. Make sure it will fit.

OP
OP
K

kodi3100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the poop on heaters.....regardless of the brand, run all heaters through a controller, because all heaters will fail....period!!! If you don't have a full blown tank controller, consider a Ranco, or you could also DIY a controller for around $30 - $35.

I'd also suggest you run two heaters, undersized, so that when one craps out, and you see your tank at 74 degrees, but everything is still alive, you know you have a bad heater.

Now, all that being said, my favorite heater is the Eheim Jager....the thickest glass of all glass heaters. The only thing I don't like is that they are long. Make sure it will fit.

So I went with the cobalt 200 watt got decent reviews and on your suggestion have a heater control coming as a back up my house stays a solid 70 deg all year long so I just need a little heat in those cold months when it drops a little at night but like many I had a freshwater tank that turned into a fish fry a couple years ago so heaters scare me don't know why I never thought of a control as a backup
Great tip

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back