New here

Joey Merrell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm new here and to the hobby. I'm getting ready to start up a 90g oceanic reef tank. Any tips on what equipment I need is greatly appreciated. I will be running a 40g sump and protein skimmer I know for sure. What I need help deciding is what lighting and other equipment will help make this tank successful. A lot of i formation out there just has me back and forth on what to go with. Tank dimensions are 48l x 18w x 24t. I would like to accomplish alot of soft coral with a lot of movement and color. Thanks and looking forward to hearing from y'all.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm new here and to the hobby. I'm getting ready to start up a 90g oceanic reef tank. Any tips on what equipment I need is greatly appreciated. I will be running a 40g sump and protein skimmer I know for sure. What I need help deciding is what lighting and other equipment will help make this tank successful. A lot of i formation out there just has me back and forth on what to go with. Tank dimensions are 48l x 18w x 24t. I would like to accomplish alot of soft coral with a lot of movement and color. Thanks and looking forward to hearing from y'all.
Welcome to R2R :) There is no such thing as a "silly" question here. Be sure to start a "build thread" where you can show and ask as you go. I have a 90 gal with an Eshopps RS-200 sump. I really like it. Plenty of room and will fit under a 90 tank. You are limited by the depth (18") of the cabinet as to which sump will fit with a bit of room to spare. Focus on water and water quality. What we really do is first and foremost manage water and water conditions. Everything else comes after. I also have an Eshopps Eclipse overflow. It can easily handle a range of flows. Here's a pic from before I filled the tank:
IMG_0637 2.JPG

OP
OP
J

Joey Merrell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I don't care for the stand that i got with this setup, so another will be built by a friend of mine that does cabinets. I may be able to get a little larger sump in that one. My main worry is I won't pick the right lighting, or buy a wrong piece of equipment. I have a tendency to spend a lot when I don't have to, lol.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting? Photon 48-V2 or SB Reef Lights (nice control from your iPhone). Both have incredible range.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I don't care for the stand that i got with this setup, so another will be built by a friend of mine that does cabinets.
Great your friend can make a cabinet for you. I had to do the same thing. I couldn't get the sump in the cabinet because of obstruction of a support between the front doors.

OP
OP
J

Joey Merrell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting? Photon 48-V2 or SB Reef Lights (nice control from your iPhone). Both have incredible range.
I hadn't considered those. I have been looking at the ati sunpower 48 6 bulb, the kessil ap700 (not sure if i would need 2 or not) and the ai hydra 52 (again, possibly need 2).

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

You would definitely need two Hydras. Out of the choices you provided I would go with the ATI.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back