New here

Buckyfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new here and followed the link to introduce myself. I have always been interested in fish. I've had fresh water since I can remember and started salt water 8 years ago. Just recently upgraded my 40 breeder without a sump to a 40 breeder with a 20 gallon sump and reef octopus protein skimmer so I could keep everything more stable. I have a mixed reef with soft corals. Everything went great with building and plumbing my new sump except for the fact that I used silicone to caulk which apparently has mold preventer which is essentially like cyanide to a fish tank. I had researched it on multiple forums but apparently the information I read was old before they included mold preventer. So, I nuked my tank and killed pretty much everything about a month ago. I only had two clown fish but I had had them for eight years and I killed all my coral which was not great, but still a loss. I had a bit of an ammonia spike for a week after that happened but now everything is back to normal 3 weeks later.
I built my new sump with a 20 gallon tank from the dollar a gallon sale from Petco and used an old tank to cut the glass for my baffles. I drilled a 750 gph overflow. I self built my stand to be extra wide and long so I would have plenty of room to do maintenance. So far I'm very happy and my new coral fragments are doing the best they've ever done.

20200330_115227_resize_99.jpg 20200322_170647.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and we’re glad you joined us !!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
godfather.jpg

Welcome to R2R! Nice looking setup. Looks like you've had your first of many lessons learned to come. Thanks for putting that out there for others to learn from. That's what we're all about. Glad to have you with us.

Back