New here!

View Badges
Yeah I had all the same anxieties as you...I also did this on the return so as to not give head pressure but I could still run it fast enough to turn the DT over 2-3 times an hour (see pic). I am bleeding speed off the return back into the sump....probably doesn’t matter what chamber, and I’m sure there are much better methods but it worked for my problems and they sound similar lol!
WOW yeah sounds exactly the same. I have a bleed back to my sump but with the return pump on this 35 gallon frag tank doesn't seem strong enough to be able to use it. I had a various 2 (some say rated for 70gallon ?) I think it is like 550-675 GPH at 4 headset (rated 795 mph max or something like that) and on the highest setting, and with tubing (no pic right angles) you would think it would be enough.

how strong is your pump? I am feeling less stressed about it hearing from you.

OP
OP
Shmollica

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to ta
WOW yeah sounds exactly the same. I have a bleed back to my sump but with the return pump on this 35 gallon frag tank doesn't seem strong enough to be able to use it. I had a various 2 (some say rated for 70gallon ?) I think it is like 550-675 GPH at 4 headset (rated 795 mph max or something like that) and on the highest setting, and with tubing (no pic right angles) you would think it would be enough.

how strong is your pump? I am feeling less stressed about it hearing from you
I’d have to take it off to check, I think it’s around the same....I got some pond fountain pump from Lowe’s like 5 years ago and have been using it ever since lol. It’s a tiny little thing and I’m in a 46 bow front. I’ve got it plumbed into 1/2” pvc nylon tube the into a hard pvc return to quiet it down and reduce vibrations. My drain is 5/8”. It doesn’t siphon but it doesn’t run dry....I’ve been running like that for three years, I just restarted 6 months ago with the same plumbing solution and no problem.

View Badges
So bottom line is, you are using this setup and feel safe with it in your house and no longer have to keep making adjustments right? BUT you don't have a skim box right? Your siphon drains go straight to the sump?

View Badges
Here is the little 7 inch by 2.5 inch box that the water in the tank skims into and then the bean animal is inside the box and the water drains from this small box. So there is not much room to play with in terms of this box filling up and overflowing or running dry and sucking air.

If you go back and look at the second pic I posted you are looking down into the skim box and see the 3 pieces if the "bean animal" in the water in the skim box.

Attachments

• tempImageYnBYYR.png
    tempImageYnBYYR.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Shmollica

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooo I made my own lol. I used a dremel and just cut some slots like an inch long, my skim box is in the tank but it’s effectively the same thing....you should be fine

View Badges
"but it’s effectively the same thing....you should be fine" ;) hardly think so bud lol What happens if my skim box overflows? What happens if your skim box overflows...BIG difference...hence the big problems I am having getting it set.

FYI I did find a site that said most people with my setup (skim box on the outside) have the second drain in the Herbie or Bean always dripping to avoid inevitable regular adjustments.....though this not is the way the Herbie or Bean is technically setup apparently it is the fix to not have to continually adjust on outside overflows...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back