New house, New build. Show me your sump rooms

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant justify it. You cant explain it. The numbers show it has almost the same cross sectional flow. You cant criticize it....But since its not exactly what somebody else did, its wrong. Haha. I needed something others hadnt done. I think for myself. I adapted ideas from elsewhere, and made it work perfectly.

"Disqualified from being called a bean?" This is good... straight from the "bean judge." Where is the list of qualifications? I have been the first to do many things. I have been criticized before. I also have been applauded once enough bandwagoners had somebody onboard that they followed. Nothing new to me.
No problem. And Au Contrair, I absolutely can explain "it. And with pleasure, I assure you. The trend in this thread is interesting in that we have user "JoshH" politely speaking nothing but the truth, when forum member "Engloid" became aggressive and insecure at the revelation that his plumbing method of the Beananimal system was proven to be inferior. Youll notice that "JoshH" was nothing but polite and a true gentleman during the entire discussion and was understandably perplexed as to how said aformentioned forum member "Engloid" couldnt wrap his head around the fact that what he ended up with is nothing even close to a Beananimal standpipe system. But as requested; Sure! Ill delve further into why plumbing all of your standpipes into a single header, or in effect, a common manifold, renders the flood failsafe capabilities of a Bean obsolete. Quite simply, you have created a single point of failure by plumbing all of your standpipes into one header. Those in risk management would designate your system as a 100% fail risk. You may, possibly, enjoy the flow capabilities of the open channel and full siphon from this system, but as JoshH mentioned, you absolutely are not covered by the systems flood failsafe capabilities. Its very simple physics. Your argument of "I wont hold my breath waiting on 1.5" pipe to clog up. Its been running about five years so far," is far from a credible one. (All it takes is a stray plastic bag to empty your entire tank onto the floor of your house. 1.5'" is not a cozy, worry free pipe diameter)
As reefers we prepare for Murphy's Law. The worst case scenario. Just because no ill effects have been suffered thus far is not indicative of the integrity of a system or even close to a relevant rebuttal. Your argument, lacking any sort of substance to bolster your take, has simply been, and I quote" It works." Copy that. Congratulations. Of course it "works". Its a few holes in a tank with the aid of gravity. I could drill a few holes in my tank with a 3/16" drill bit and plumb it with some Capri Sun straws draining into my sump and it would "work." That doesnt mean its a good idea. This topic transcends the lines of any personal disagreement in this particular thread and thats why i chose to engage. This is a discussion forum. Sometimes there will be differences of opinion. If you want to run a system with a single point of failure risk, thats your prerogative, but others should be advised as to the proper way to plumb an overflow so as to potentially avoid a devastating flood.Carry on.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think of the redundancy you would have with the straws though. You should do that. Btw...proven? I see nothing proven at all, except your ability to use a hundred words when ten would have said the same thing.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If somebody wants to tag an admin and ask these guys to shut up, I would appreciate it. The OP probably would also.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"These guys"? I sincerely hope you're not referring to me. I've been nothing but polite and I don't appreciate the attitude. I would very much like it if a mod would clean this thread up, you've posted more than anyone and it's gotten to the point of insult. Beyond rude. Appreciate those who have tried to get this topic back on track for the OP.

@hybridazn
@mdbannister

Last edited:
OP
OP
ECOKid

ECOKid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much guys! This was way more than expected but well worth the read! Anyone who is still subscribed, thanks for sticking around. Im dubbing this thread as the thread ill show progress on. Thanks so much! As you all know thisncan take time. Alot of time. But it will be well worth it. I hope to join the sump room club fairly soon!

sps_monger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these fish rooms look great! Dose anyone have problems with humidity, mildew, heat, or low ph? Does anyone run an air to air exchange?
Exhaust air outside?
Looking for ideas for my own.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these fish rooms look great! Dose anyone have problems with humidity, mildew, heat, or low ph? Does anyone run an air to air exchange?
Exhaust air outside?

I have a large exhaust fan that runs to the outside to remove the humidity in the room. If the fan were to ever fail I think I would replace it with an air exchanger.

My PH runs 8-8.15 depending on time of day.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exhaust air outside?

I happen to frame the fish room around the house dehumidifier so no problem with humidity or mold. The basement tends to stay cooler then the rest of the house but two heaters (300w and 500w) did a great job over a rather cold winter in NJ. This is the tanks first summer but with the basement staying rather cool, I don't see heat being a problem. My PH dips to 8.25 at night and peaks at 8.32 just after lights out pretty consistently. As far as exhausting air outside, I have a window in the fish room so that stays open plus the dehumidifier has a vent fan.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exhaust air outside?

I have humidity sensing ventilation and I have covered my ceiling in plastic to contain as much humidity as possible. The negative pressure from the ventilation should also help to keep the humidity in the fish room. I also have dehumidifier in my basement that I can turn on if it becomes necessary. It will all be tested this summer when I get my tanks filled.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back