What Tank Size Should I go with?

• Total voters

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I am really excited to share that I am in the process of building a new house. Along with the house build comes the opportunity to design and build my fishroom. I imaging this thread will become a several month long process. I'd love to start with some general plan-
I currently have a 180G mix reef with some of the more aggressive guys like emperor, humuhumu, harlequin tuskfish, blueface angel, etc. I also have a 80G system currently set up mainly to house frags, and another 50G plumbed into the 80G housing mainly sps and clams.

My vision is to have ONE system with piping liking to all different tanks to reduce maintenance. I am curious to hear feedback to discuss the pros & cons in this practice.

My Question 1:
What size Aquarium should I go with given my budget cap (see options in poll)? Both has its pros & cons- Longer tank give the fish more swim room, also look more impressive from the long side. The wider tank on the other hand provides easier water movement (less momentum drop off), also better sense of depth which I like.

My Question 2:
I have reached out to Custom Aquariums in Neenah Wisconsin for a quote for glass tank with steel frame stand. The quote I received back was in the neighborhood of $11K, including all the plumbing, low iron glass on one long side, modular sump, as well as free delivery (I live here in Wisconsin). Do you guys think this is a good price, and has anyone had experience with this tank building vendor? Does anyone have recommendation for any other quality, and affordable vendors in the Midwest?

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons and dimensions ??
The dimension is in the poll. Please help me by voting for them.
The Display itself may contain somewhere in the neighborhood of 350G, but when I hook up the whole system, with frag tank, sump, refugium I am expecting the total water volume to top 600G.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 48w more room and it won't be be to tight price seems reasonable. Is it negotiable? And I would shop around first and get several quotes before pulling the trigger.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 48w more room and it won't be be to tight price seems reasonable. Is it negotiable? And I would shop around first and get several quotes before pulling the trigger.
Thanks for your feedback. This is why I am throwing the question out here to hear everyone's input in any pros and cons I might have not considered.
Do you know of any vendors you like to recommend?

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback. This is why I am throwing the question out here to hear everyone's input in any pros and cons I might have not considered.
Do you know of any vendors you like to recommend?
Glass cages and planet aquarium I think is another one. But do your research and get quotes look at reviews etc. Good luck post your decision

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of wide tanks. They give that extra dimension and depth. They also tend to give more freedom when aquascaping.
Will the tank be peninsula or standard viewing?
I am not US so no input on the pricing.

Will follow along to see the progress. The size alone is promising

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like longer tanks. Just personal preference. I think either would work fine. Depends on space it is going in. If longer or wider is better.

I got some quotes when building my new 210g. However, I cannot help much as mine was acrylic. :)

Cannot wait to see what you decide and pictures of where it will be/look like. Get at least 4 quotes from good vendors. Look at actual reviews. Make sure to look long term reviews if possible.

Good Luck!!!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I am really excited to share that I am in the process of building a new house. Along with the house build comes the opportunity to design and build my fishroom. I imaging this thread will become a several month long process. I'd love to start with some general plan-
I currently have a 180G mix reef with some of the more aggressive guys like emperor, humuhumu, harlequin tuskfish, blueface angel, etc. I also have a 80G system currently set up mainly to house frags, and another 50G plumbed into the 80G housing mainly sps and clams.

My vision is to have ONE system with piping liking to all different tanks to reduce maintenance. I am curious to hear feedback to discuss the pros & cons in this practice.

My Question 1:
What size Aquarium should I go with given my budget cap (see options in poll)? Both has its pros & cons- Longer tank give the fish more swim room, also look more impressive from the long side. The wider tank on the other hand provides easier water movement (less momentum drop off), also better sense of depth which I like.

My Question 2:
I have reached out to Custom Aquariums in Neenah Wisconsin for a quote for glass tank with steel frame stand. The quote I received back was in the neighborhood of $11K, including all the plumbing, low iron glass on one long side, modular sump, as well as free delivery (I live here in Wisconsin). Do you guys think this is a good price, and has anyone had experience with this tank building vendor? Does anyone have recommendation for any other quality, and affordable vendors in the Midwest?
@stevenliu9

Below is a list of Aquarium manufactures. You have many options to explore. I am sure I may have missed a few. Totally not intentional.

1. Coast 2 Coast

2. Reef Savvy

3. Miracles Aquariums

4. Titan

5. Concept Aquariums

6. Crystal Dynamics

7. Planet Aquariums

8. Advanced Acrylics

9. Midwest Custom Aquarium

10. Fish Tanks Direct

11. Custom Aquariums

12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing

13. Tank Me USA

14. Crystal Reef Aquatics

15. Aqueon

16. Redsea

17. SCA

18. Acrylic Glass Exhibits

19. GEO

20. Elos

21. Exotic Aquariums

22. Waterbox

23. Cade

24. Innovative Marine

25. Reef Octopus

26. Zero Edge

The best choice is your choice. Here to support.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back