New Idea - Consolidated Version of Build Threads on R2R Linked To The Full Build Threads

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - So I’m hooked on Reading Build Threads on R2R. So many talented Reefers that come up with ingenious solutions to everyday Reefing problems. Then I love to see the evolution of these aquariums! Unfortunately many of these great threads are hundreds of pages long. While I do enjoy the bantering that goes on with these threads, I would love to read condensed versions with the meat & potatoes of the build, trials & tribulations, and constant evolution.

So what do you think about starting the condensed, cliff note versions of your build with just the build specifics and subsequent stocking & maturing. Maybe the Build Thread could have a link to this condensed version? Maybe R2R can give the Reefer the ability to tag certain posts in their Build Thread for this condensed version?

Just thinking out loud and appreciate any feedback! Thank you!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting idea! We do have the ability, software wise, to allow the first post of the thread to be the first post of every page. We could set the members tank forums up like this and then give everyone the ability, if you don’t have it, to edit the first post with all the new info and posts. That’s one idea.

The other idea is as you said which might be even better.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like ..

Build thread: any one can post

Documentary?: only op can post

You should add a poll

Brilliant idea about the Documentary!

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks are really great about keeping their first post updated with all the stats and a recent FTS. I've been trying to keep up with this myself.

I really appreciate build threads that have an up to date list of equipment, parameter goals, dosing schedule, feeding routine, and gives a quick summary of their reefing philosophy.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that the Condensed Build Thread could get you caught up on those long full Build Threads - and then you could intelligently banter in the full Build Thread…

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some good ideas. Something that comes to mind for me is the documentary approach. Something similar to the articles that get posted. It would work something like this.

OP makes a build thread it gets published in article format. Everyone can comment in the discussion portion including OP for the banter, but also allow OP to post new sub posts under the first so that they don't have to edit the original and it can be a time stamped progression of the build. All the major build posts would be available in one spot and if you wanted to ask a question or banter it would be somewhat separate. This way it wouldn't clog the build portion but still allow all the comments!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some good ideas. Something that comes to mind for me is the documentary approach. Something similar to the articles that get posted. It would work something like this.

OP makes a build thread it gets published in article format. Everyone can comment in the discussion portion including OP for the banter, but also allow OP to post new sub posts under the first so that they don't have to edit the original and it can be a time stamped progression of the build. All the major build posts would be available in one spot and if you wanted to ask a question or banter it would be somewhat separate. This way it wouldn't clog the build portion but still allow all the comments!

Really like the organizational aspect of this approach!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea! We do have the ability, software wise, to allow the first post of the thread to be the first post of every page. We could set the members tank forums up like this and then give everyone the ability, if you don’t have it, to edit the first post with all the new info and posts. That’s one idea.

The other idea is as you said which might be even better.

There a nuggets of gold buried deep in these build threads! Would be great to make them more accessible to R2Rers…

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe there could be a way to tag posts with your personal build thread hashtag to pin them to the top or automatically put those post into the consolidated version of the build thread.

Posts would only be able to be able to be tagged by the OP. This way people can tag other users posts if they share a helpful idea or something that the OP feels adds to the build.

People could go through their builds and tag all the relevant posts for threads that are already ongoing; essentially making the feature retroactive.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe there could be a way to tag posts with your personal build thread hashtag to pin them to the top or automatically put those post into the consolidated version of the build thread.

Posts would only be able to be able to be tagged by the OP. This way people can tag other users posts if they share a helpful idea or something that the OP feels adds to the build.

People could go through their builds and tag all the relevant posts for threads that are already ongoing; essentially making the feature retroactive.

This is a great idea! Also a great way to build community on R2R!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps when nobody follows the threads xD Mine's been going for a few years, but it's only 4 pages long (thank goodness) and I can pretty easily navigate it! However, of I ever get popular somehow, an option to tag posts for a condensed thread would be incredible. I'd be interested in using it for my coral spawning thread too, to keep the actual result posts easily accessible!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back