OP
oohnoo

oohnoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ready for this? Sitting down?
MarineDepot finally got they shipments in and send me mine which arrived without damage as they finally re-boxed it in larger box with extra packing material, but barely as it looked like hell. So I assembled the stand and put the tank on it and all looked well. You have to remember that this tank is in my office at work which is going to replace the 15gal I have there so I work on it when I can. So a few days later I notice that I was able to see an air gap between the tank and the corners of the tank. what the heck right. Look closer at it and sure enough the ends of the stand are slopped downward leaving I'd say a good 1/64 gap. I was able to slip a few sheets of paper under the tank on both sides. Removed tank and put it on my desk and it sits perfectly flat. Take a 36" straight edge to the top of the stand and it's warped. Doesn't make sense I know as it's engineered composite wood. Look at it closer and it has more of a wave to it.
Called IM and after sending them pics of it they sent me a new stand. GREAT! Get the new stand and instead of assembling the whole stand I just opted to replace the top. First I took the top and put it on my desk, sits flat, put the tank on it, again flat. Remove old top and replace with new top, flat, put tank on stand, again flat. Three days later, WARPED! Seriously? Called IM and they told me to fill it with water and it'll flatted out. Sorry but I wasn't going to take that chance. So with that I decided to buy the 3/16" thick foam underlayment that IM sells. Install it and I still see daylight on the edges of the tank. Freaking top has such a wave to it. Grrrrrr. So what I'm doing now is I bought a piece of 1 3/4" Birch Butcher Block counter top from Lowes which I'm going to cut 1/2" larger that the existing top to give it that reveal look and stain it Ebony with a satin finish. Then I'll screw is down with screws from underneath.
Hopefully it'll all be worth it as this has given me nothing but headaches. And to top it off I'm told I have to move out of my current office to a slight smaller one. YAAAA, so good thing this wasn't setup yet as moving the 15gal is a piece of cake really.

What happened? Did you give up on the 30L? Bummer you got unlucky with MD's shipments, I think.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ready for this? Sitting down?
MarineDepot finally got they shipments in and send me mine which arrived without damage as they finally re-boxed it in larger box with extra packing material, but barely as it looked like hell. So I assembled the stand and put the tank on it and all looked well. You have to remember that this tank is in my office at work which is going to replace the 15gal I have there so I work on it when I can. So a few days later I notice that I was able to see an air gap between the tank and the corners of the tank. what the heck right. Look closer at it and sure enough the ends of the stand are slopped downward leaving I'd say a good 1/64 gap. I was able to slip a few sheets of paper under the tank on both sides. Removed tank and put it on my desk and it sits perfectly flat. Take a 36" straight edge to the top of the stand and it's warped. Doesn't make sense I know as it's engineered composite wood. Look at it closer and it has more of a wave to it.
Called IM and after sending them pics of it they sent me a new stand. GREAT! Get the new stand and instead of assembling the whole stand I just opted to replace the top. First I took the top and put it on my desk, sits flat, put the tank on it, again flat. Remove old top and replace with new top, flat, put tank on stand, again flat. Three days later, WARPED! Seriously? Called IM and they told me to fill it with water and it'll flatted out. Sorry but I wasn't going to take that chance. So with that I decided to buy the 3/16" thick foam underlayment that IM sells. Install it and I still see daylight on the edges of the tank. Freaking top has such a wave to it. Grrrrrr. So what I'm doing now is I bought a piece of 1 3/4" Birch Butcher Block counter top from Lowes which I'm going to cut 1/2" larger that the existing top to give it that reveal look and stain it Ebony with a satin finish. Then I'll screw is down with screws from underneath.
Hopefully it'll all be worth it as this has given me nothing but headaches. And to top it off I'm told I have to move out of my current office to a slight smaller one. YAAAA, so good thing this wasn't setup yet as moving the 15gal is a piece of cake really.

Return the stand. Get a different brand or build one yourself (lots of people do DIY stands and there are a lot of simple ways to do so) I'ver heard terrible things about the quality of the IM stands, so I got something else for my 30L. For the price of the IM stands you can get something way better quality.

OP
OP
oohnoo

oohnoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't think I can as some time has past and I don't have the original box. The stand isn't all that bad, just a ****** top that isn't flat.

Return the stand. Get a different brand or build one yourself (lots of people do DIY stands and there are a lot of simple ways to do so) I'ver heard terrible things about the quality of the IM stands, so I got something else for my 30L. For the price of the IM stands you can get something way better quality.

OP
OP
oohnoo

oohnoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no post. Figured I show how my tank is coming along. AMAZING transformation to what it is now. So happy with it.
Only complaint is I don't know how to take better pics

IMG_2236.JPG

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I have the same tank and was considering getting the aquamaxx skimmer as well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back