New InkBird heater controller question

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so the InkBird I ordered with a BRS heater has just arrived and was wondering if I should check the temperature the probes are picking up. It says 75.6 but my thermometer reads like 77-78, so should I double check the values or not worry? I have the heater to turn on at 77 and off at 78.
Thanks

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obvious question, but are the probes and thermometer in the same spot? I'd be inclined to leave both in the tank for a bit so you can compare side-by-side with your existing (old) heater as a reference.

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obvious question, but are the probes and thermometer in the same spot? I'd be inclined to leave both in the tank for a bit so you can compare side-by-side with your existing (old) heater as a reference.
The probes are together not the thermometer. I have an AIO so I keep the probes in the back part that could never run dry. Thermometer in the display, but could a weaker light be making it hotter though, and by 2 degrees? Also it’s not being directly hit either.

I think I’ll put the probes next to the thermometer and see if the light has an effect when it goes out.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so the InkBird I ordered with a BRS heater has just arrived and was wondering if I should check the temperature the probes are picking up. It says 75.6 but my thermometer reads like 77-78, so should I double check the values or not worry? I have the heater to turn on at 77 and off at 78.
Thanks
Double check the values with your best temp sensor. Most hobby temp sensors use thermistors which can be inaccurate, unless factory calibrated.
It'd be good to set your aquarium to the temp you want.
All temp sensors have a +/- accuracy tolerance, due to manufacturing and transducer voltage to temp algorithms.

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check the values with your best temp sensor. Most hobby temp sensors use thermistors which can be inaccurate, unless factory calibrated.
It'd be good to set your aquarium to the temp you want.
All temp sensors have a +/- accuracy tolerance, due to manufacturing and transducer voltage to temp algorithms.
I don’t even have another thermometer so maybe I’ll buy a good one, I guess it could be good for acclimation or something in the future

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can calibrate the inkbird to the correct temp once you determine it. Mine was also off 3-4 degrees from my glass thermometer. After thinking about which I should trust I decided the old school glass thermometer (they've been used for many decades) is the one I would believe to be correct, not an electronic device.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you want a GOOD thermometer --

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you want a GOOD thermometer --
That's a hydrometer for measuring salinity via specific gravity.
it is a good one.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back