Has anybody tried Inkbird Titanium Aquarium Heater ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at a 300 watts Inkbird titanium heater on Amazon and it’s really cheap (33$ CAD with 12$ coupon). I usually wouldn’t trust a cheap heater but Inkbird makes reliable controlers so maybe ?

I can’t find any reviews anywhere.

Thanks !

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m looking at a 300 watts Inkbird titanium heater on Amazon and it’s really cheap (33$ CAD with 12$ coupon). I usually wouldn’t trust a cheap heater but Inkbird makes reliable controlers so maybe ?

I can’t find any reviews anywhere.

Thanks !
I'm using one in my 125. It's been doing good for me. I just bought a second one for the new 70 I'm setting up.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked Amazon, it's been running for 2 years next week.
Hmm, you’re tempting me now. It only has 75% good reviews on Amazon. Some people say it lasts only a few months, others say it has fried their whole tank.

I’m using an Inkbird so the risk is less. It’s still making me a bit nervous though. I’ll keep thinking about it.

I wish I could get another Eheim, they’re my favorite. But the 300 watts is 20 inches. That’s too long.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have mine hooked to the Inkbird ITC-306 controller. It does add to the peace of mind

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used several of them over the last few years and they’ve all failed me at around a year with an error saying the heater was out of the water. I was putting them vertically in my corner overflow and I believe it was the coraline algae growing on the top of them that caused my issues.
I would still be willing to use them and suspect if housed in a dark sump they likely would still be running.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have used several of them over the last few years and they’ve all failed me at around a year with an error saying the heater was out of the water. I was putting them vertically in my corner overflow and I believe it was the coraline algae growing on the top of them that caused my issues.
I would still be willing to use them and suspect if housed in a dark sump they likely would still be running.
Mine is in the corner of my DT but it's behind the rocks. I don't grow coralline like you do though!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in the corner of my DT but it's behind the rocks. I don't grow coralline like you do though!
I wouldn’t have thought my overflow would get enough light to grow it, but apparently it does. I’d still be using the inkbird heaters but they’re slightly too long for my sump. I’ve switched to Finnex but I’ve had one of them fail too. Actually I’ve never had a brand of heater that didn’t fail, including eheim that most people suggest.

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the aquarium coop heater.
They do freshwater planted tank stuff but the heater is rock solid. Might be less watts then your looking for but I would rather use two of those then a cheap Amazon one.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, you’re tempting me now. It only has 75% good reviews on Amazon. Some people say it lasts only a few months, others say it has fried their whole tank.

I’m using an Inkbird so the risk is less. It’s still making me a bit nervous though. I’ll keep thinking about it.

I wish I could get another Eheim, they’re my favorite. But the 300 watts is 20 inches. That’s too long.
Could always do 2 eheims, that is what ive done, sized such that if one failed on it cant cook the tank, and if one fails off the temp will drop enough for me to notice but not enough that stuff dies. I have 2 150's in my sump, 75 dt, but my house stays cold.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the aquarium coop heater.
They do freshwater planted tank stuff but the heater is rock solid. Might be less watts then your looking for but I would rather use two of those then a cheap Amazon one.
I would but I don’t think they’re available in Canada.

Could always do 2 eheims, that is what ive done, sized such that if one failed on it cant cook the tank, and if one fails off the temp will drop enough for me to notice but not enough that stuff dies. I have 2 150's in my sump, 75 dt, but my house stays cold.
I was using 2 x 200 watts Eheim on my 75 gallons (no sump) for years and years. But I’ve upgraded to a 110 gallons + sump and they’re not keeping up.

300 watts are too long (20 inches).

I’m going to order the Inkbird for now. I’m home most of the time so I’ll make sure to keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using my new Inkbird 300 watts heater for 4 days now. I set it at 28C, Inkbird is at 25.5 C and it’s working just fine. It has made a difference; temp is more stable now and reaches 25.5 C.

It’s only been a few days but I’ve had heaters fail at heating from the start. So that’s good !

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have my heater and controller set at 78. If one fails, the other keeps the temperature correct.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my heater and controller set at 78. If one fails, the other keeps the temperature correct.
I’m used to Eheim’s, which are almost impossible to calibrate and need to be set higher if they’re going to work at all.

I’m comfortable with a few degrees more.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I spent at least 2 days fussing with my dials before I gave up somewhere close to 79. Haven't touched them since then though, 5 years ago.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back