Best Heater/Temperature controller? (Non-Apex)

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so confused especially because the reviews on amazon and BRS are all mixed which makes it a pain in the butt to choose between options. I have a standard 20 gallon long (planning to upgrade to 90 next year), but I need a good heater and controller. California's temperatures are whack. Sometimes its hot, sometimes freezing which also ruins my life. Ive heard titanium heaters are good but which ones?! Finnex? BRS? Aquatop? Also what about temperature controllers? Ranco? IM Helios? Hygger? InkBird has extremely mixed reviews with so many calling it garbage for crashing their systems while others praise it, making me afraid to purchase. WHICH ONES???!!! I dont wanna come back home one day and find my fish boiled or frozen. Apex costs an arm and a leg and is way beyond my budget.

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put heat shrink tubing over the end of mine and sealed it over. I believe you can purchase them with a better probe as well from some of the aquarium suppliers.
Can you send me a pic of your ranco probe? Also are you attach something like this aquarium probe to the Ranco? If im not mistaken you need to actually wire the probe to the unit right? https://www.coralvue.com/titanium-ground-probe

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have never had a problem with Finnex titanium. Would never buy a glass one (other brands)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send me a pic of your ranco probe? Also are you attach something like this aquarium probe to the Ranco? If im not mistaken you need to actually wire the probe to the unit right? https://www.coralvue.com/titanium-ground-probe
Why would you attach a grounding probe?

You need to water proof the temperature probe

I made titanium thermo wells for mine

Temp4.jpeg

Last edited:

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aqualogic which I think you can still buy directly from them and regular old eheim heaters. I’d say it’s my most reliable piece of equipment on the tank by a mile. I think they’re just ranco controllers but aquariumized and pre installed water proofing.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS elements and Aqua Logic controller which is a rebranded Ranco with a probe for our use. The Aqua Logic is by far the most robust and best track record out there. Ranco controllers are bullet proof

The Helios aren’t bad either but I’ve witnessed too many fail after a couple months to trust them.

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aqualogic which I think you can still buy directly from them and regular old eheim heaters. I’d say it’s my most reliable piece of equipment on the tank by a mile. I think they’re just ranco controllers but aquariumized and pre installed water proofing.
I saw that. So is that aqualogic unit just as good as a ranco? Also it seems by judt renaming it and giving it a titanium probe adds 120 bucks to the price. Sheesh

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS elements and Aqua Logic controller which is a rebranded Ranco with a probe for our use. The Aqua Logic is by far the most robust and best track record out there. Ranco controllers are bullet proof

The Helios aren’t bad either but I’ve witnessed too many fail after a couple months to trust them.
So which should i invest in? a Ranco or Aqua Logic?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back