Best Heater/Temperature controller? (Non-Apex)

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably overkill for the size aquarium in question but if you want to splurge then I'd suggest taking a look at the aqualogic as noted already. Their digital temperature controllers will withstand the test of time allowing you to roll through the many upgrades sure to follow.

Used across many industries such as aquaculture, zoos, bait shops, education, hydrophonics, food, and more. If it is good enough for these high demand industries then it is a no brainer for home aquarium use. In "my" opinion.

Buy once, use time and time again. Get yours today with a color catalog!
They're just so expensive though. Like 240-300 depending on the model.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're just so expensive though. Like 240-300 depending on the model.

Cheap insurance IMO. Heaters are probably the #1 reason tanks have a catastrophic failure. Nothing like having $10k in coral and fish and then trusting a $30 brewing temperature controller. But we’ve all been there. Most of my older tanks all ran the Inkbird controllers

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap insurance IMO. Heaters are probably the #1 reason tanks have a catastrophic failure. Nothing like having $10k in coral and fish and then trusting a $30 brewing temperature controller. But we’ve all been there. Most of my older tanks all ran the Inkbird controllers
Which model do you have of these 3?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231016_111313_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231016_111313_Chrome.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 98

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You most likely want a 115V unit. Dual stage will provide separate controls for a heater and a chiller. Single stage is either a heater or a chiller only.

You can find used Ranco's on Ebay for well under $100 and then add the silicone sleeve.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a decade plus on Ranco and never did anything to the probes. Maybe these are too old to be an issue and the newer probes need coated or put into a sleeve? In any case, the best out there, IMO.

If the Ranco is not wired alread, I wire in a 3 or 4 way cord so that I can use more than one heater. I use Eheims, set the internal thermometer to just above the ranco. This means that the ranco would have to stick on (which does not seem to ever happen) and also that 3 or 4 of my Eheims would have to fail too.

Dual stage can be nice even for a fan if your AC ever goes out.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would bet #1 by substantial margin.

I use three in my system Primary controller, backup controller and then one on my coral QT tank. One used Aqualoginc and two purchased from supply house hard wired to outlets.

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You most likely want a 115V unit. Dual stage will provide separate controls for a heater and a chiller. Single stage is either a heater or a chiller only.

You can find used Ranco's on Ebay for well under $100 and then add the silicone sleeve.
Ok so which one is more well known and used in the aquarium hobby? Aqualogic or ranco? Honestly the only difference i feel with aqualogic is literally just the waterproofed probe.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller is the same. The only difference is the temperature probe. Ranco also has an option for a NEMA 4X enclosure which is suitable for outdoors for added cost. The Aqua Logic uses the NEMA 4X exclusively. It would offer some added protection in a humid environment. I have about 8 Aqua-Logics that I all found used for cheap and they have worked flawlessly for years. I have heard that you need to shrink wrap the standard Ranco probe, but I don't have any personal experience.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I hear people say this since its industrial style, but the probes arent waterproof. How do i make them?

Waterproof version

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so which one is more well known and used in the aquarium hobby? Aqualogic or ranco? Honestly the only difference i feel with aqualogic is literally just the waterproofed probe.

Now theres 3 models smh.

There are more then that.
1697481809349.png

But you can eliminate 24 VAC and 0 to 10 output.

Do you want single stage or dual stage?

Do you want NEMA 1 or NEMA 4X?

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are more then that.
1697481809349.png

But you can eliminate 24 VAC and 0 to 10 output.

Do you want single stage or dual stage?

Do you want NEMA 1 or NEMA 4X?
I want single stage because i already have a fan that cools my water for me. I also want nema4x given that its gonna be near water and accidents happen sometimes.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnex Titanium elements have never failed me. I am a BRS customer and tried their German titanium offering and one died in just a year. I run 2 500 amp Finnex’s and 2 rainbirds off of separate Apex outlets in my 180 gallon.

MNCYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a few cooling and cold storage facilities. Probably have more than 50 Ranco thermostats in use. Rarely replace one. I trust it on my aquarium

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnex Titanium elements have never failed me. I am a BRS customer and tried their German titanium offering and one died in just a year. I run 2 500 amp Finnex’s and 2 rainbirds off of separate Apex outlets in my 180 gallon.
Yeah honestly imma just go with that. TBH i was more concerned about the controller managing the power of titaniums. I dont wanna wake up one morning and find my fish in a hot spring.

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so confused especially because the reviews on amazon and BRS are all mixed which makes it a pain in the butt to choose between options. I have a standard 20 gallon long (planning to upgrade to 90 next year), but I need a good heater and controller. California's temperatures are whack. Sometimes its hot, sometimes freezing which also ruins my life. Ive heard titanium heaters are good but which ones?! Finnex? BRS? Aquatop? Also what about temperature controllers? Ranco? IM Helios? Hygger? InkBird has extremely mixed reviews with so many calling it garbage for crashing their systems while others praise it, making me afraid to purchase. WHICH ONES???!!! I dont wanna come back home one day and find my fish boiled or frozen. Apex costs an arm and a leg and is way beyond my budget.
I’ve enjoyed my IM Helios that I’ve had up and running with my tank build for over a year. It’s pricey, but most of the times in this hobby you get what you paid for.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah honestly imma just go with that. TBH i was more concerned about the controller managing the power of titaniums. I dont wanna wake up one morning and find my fish in a hot spring.
Just make sure of some redundancy as mentioned, so if the controller fails on, your fish wont be in a hot spring. The titanium heaters are 'dumb' heating elements, unlike some others here that will shut themselves off if the controller fails.
You could also use a supervisory monitor like apex to shut off the controller if some temp is exceeded.
Good luck.

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure of some redundancy as mentioned, so if the controller fails on, your fish wont be in a hot spring. The titanium heaters are 'dumb' heating elements, unlike some others here that will shut themselves off if the controller fails.
You could also use a supervisory monitor like apex to shut off the controller if some temp is exceeded.
Thank you. I may save up for an apex in the future, but college is soaking up most of my cash right now. Also i have a 20 gallon so is a titanium heater overkill or should i just go with a fluval or eheim and call it a day? Im guessing i can set the controller for 76 degrees and set the heater knob to 78 as a failsafe?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back