Best Heater/Temperature controller? (Non-Apex)

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a simple eheim glass heater with built in thermostat. I find it keeps the temperature in a 0.5 degree (f) range. I set it at 80 and I find my temperature anywhere from 79.8 to 80.3.
I also use an inkbird as an emergency shutoff in case the heater gets stuck on (I suppose it would also alarm if too cold but I don't care about that).

Estonian Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend aqua medic Twin controller which can do two functions. Heater control plus cooling control. Also inkbird heating controller is pretty good itc 306A.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inkbird 306A heater controller and Marineland heaters, been doing great for years. I changed the heaters out once a year just to be safe. I like that the both have temp indicators.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco‘s, Johnson Controls, or anything commercial will be far more reliable than anything hobby or cheap import.

Use the controller as the primary and set the on board thermostats in the heaters as fail-safes so that they don’t turn the heater on and off during normal operation, but only come into play if the controller fails to turn off.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim + ranco nema4/aqualogic (samething) is unbeatable.

Been using that combo for over 10 years with 0 issues and will continue to do so.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird pid controller driving eheim jaeger heater.
Inkbird Heating or Cooling PID Temperature Controller IPB-16S Pre-Wired Digital Home Brewing Controller Independent Control Pump Thermostat https://a.co/d/eXWKyhY

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't have to be pretty. I bought both my Ranco's used over 10 years ago. One was already shrink wrapped and the other I just gobbed on a bunch of silicone with my hands.

IMG_20231015_182328901.jpg

IMG_20231015_182340063.jpg

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For heaters I like having a second controller on the heater itself. I currently have a couple Finnex titanium at 500 watts each. I set the Ranco at a higher safety shutoff value and let the heater turn itself on and off. I replace my heaters every couple years.

NoFeedback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AQQA submersible aquarium heater 300W. Works great and 3 years old for me. Amazon.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run both Inkbird w/Eheim and a couple Helios w/Helio elements. On the Inkbird, I set the heaters to 80, then set the Inkbird to 78. It's been working well for me in multiple tanks for years now. The Helio has only been running for about 6 months so far, and no complaints from me.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably overkill for the size aquarium in question but if you want to splurge then I'd suggest taking a look at the aqualogic as noted already. Their digital temperature controllers will withstand the test of time allowing you to roll through the many upgrades sure to follow.

Used across many industries such as aquaculture, zoos, bait shops, education, hydrophonics, food, and more. If it is good enough for these high demand industries then it is a no brainer for home aquarium use. In "my" opinion.

Buy once, use time and time again. Get yours today with a color catalog!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua Logic. It’s a rebranded Ranco with the proper probe for saltwater.

Is the aqualogic a rebrand? Thought it started in San Diego in the 80's but honestly I don't know. Sea Food.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a Ranco controller that has been rebranded and uses a titanium temp probe so it is safe for our systems.

I misread then - I read it as the aqualogic is a rebrand of the Ranco.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. I think we’re saying the same thing?

Ranco makes the controller. Aqua Logic just rebrands it with their logo and switches to the titanium probe

Sorry for the confusion so please don't bang the keyboard saying MAN THIS CLOWN IS DENSE :)

We are not saying the same thing. I was under the impression that Aqua Logic makes their own hardware. As in their own company that started in the sea food industry in San Diego, Ca. Thus my question as I was not aware Aqua Logic is rebranding another companies, Ranco.

Again sorry for the confusion. I didn't know one way or the other so was curious. A lot of rebranding in the world :D

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for the confusion so please don't bang the keyboard saying MAN THIS CLOWN IS DENSE :)

We are not saying the same thing. I was under the impression that Aqua Logic makes their own hardware. As in their own company that started in the sea food industry in San Diego, Ca. Thus my question as I was not aware Aqua Logic is rebranding another companies, Ranco.

Again sorry for the confusion. I didn't know one way or the other so was curious. A lot of rebranding in the world :D

It blows people's minds when they learn what is rebranded in this world. Lol

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of this $40 "Bayite" controller:

I've been running one on my tank for over three years now. I bought a second one as a backup, configured it and stashed it away in a closet. Haven't needed it yet.

bayite.jpg

p.s. I did have to replace the original temp probe that it came with, but happily the $9 BRS temp probe fits and works:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back