New-ish to reefing, just got Maxima

RyanTheSquid

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2025
Messages
205
Reaction score
72
Location
New Mexico
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this Maxima clam i just got look healthy? It's 2.5" in the top of my 24gal Auquatop. It's been in my tank for 48 hours or so now. Just worried about the light it may or may not be getting.
1000012144.jpg
 
Not sure you can hit the 300+ par with an AI Prime at 18". I have one on a 5gal tank. I will have to look at par numbers at that distance..

I can tell you with the AI Prime, make sure the clam is directly center under the light. That light has a fairly narrow focus.
Not that it is on my budget right now but for good overall lighting on a 24gal waterbox cube what would be a good recomendation?
 
Upvote 0
Not that it is on my budget right now but for good overall lighting on a 24gal waterbox cube what would be a good recomendation?
From cheapest to highest

Noopsyche k7
Reefi uno 2.0
Xr30

A bunch of other options.
 
Upvote 0
From cheapest to highest

Noopsyche k7
Reefi uno 2.0
Xr30

A bunch of other options.
Thank you! I may stick to the AI 16 HD for now but down the road if i upgrade the tank I'll be sure to look into better lighting. As far as I knew the AI brand was good but I haven't looked into hardware and lighting really. I bought the tank with fish and everything already to go from a friend that was moving.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you! I may stick to the AI 16 HD for now but down the road if i upgrade the tank I'll be sure to look into better lighting. As far as I knew the AI brand was good but I haven't looked into hardware and lighting really. I bought the tank with fish and everything already to go from a friend that was moving.
The AI are fine. A little bit of paying for brand but I really like the user experience/app functions. It comes down to a question of lighting for the tank and what you can keep. The AI Prime is small and not tremendously powerful and the spread for a single puck will be narrow for the tank size. So knowing these things it becomes more important on what you put in the tank, placement etc that will work with the light's capabilities.

The corals you have are fine for the light but the clam is a wrench in the gears so to speak. If you can't get the clam higher up then you might want to think about a small narrow beam focused 30w 5000-6000k led bulb with some sort of clip on type fixture so you can get a little spotlight directly on just the clam. It does not have to be some fancy aquarium reef light.
 
Upvote 0
The AI are fine. A little bit of paying for brand but I really like the user experience/app functions. It comes down to a question of lighting for the tank and what you can keep. The AI Prime is small and not tremendously powerful and the spread for a single puck will be narrow for the tank size. So knowing these things it becomes more important on what you put in the tank, placement etc that will work with the light's capabilities.

The corals you have are fine for the light but the clam is a wrench in the gears so to speak. If you can't get the clam higher up then you might want to think about a small narrow beam focused 30w 5000-6000k led bulb with some sort of clip on type fixture so you can get a little spotlight directly on just the clam. It does not have to be some fancy aquarium reef light.
Oh that's a great idea, yes the AI HD is currently on its Arm over the tank, maybe I could find something like what you're saying that hangs on the back also. Thank you!
 
Upvote 0
With that spectrum blend, you can jack up the intensity significantly without worrying about damage to the lenses or diodes. It looks like you're less than 50%. A two-finger drag upward on your schedule screen will increase your intensity. Only change by 5% a week, though, for best results. At about 75%, you should be able to get close to 200 par on the top of your rocks.
Screenshot_2025-03-26-09-04-37-75_f075abd76a32898b6508feb51de836f0-EDIT.jpg

I peak out at about 70% and 200 par for a bit at high noon, with my settings, at 9" above the waterline. I like my Primes, but new Reefbreeder Meridians are going to be my upgrade soon.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your Primes on that schedule are probably only providing about 125-150 par with your light settings. Certainly on the low side for a Maxima. I see a lighting upgrade in your future.
Oh dang. More likely a clam sale in my future sadly.
 
Upvote 0
You have a bunch of available power still in those Primes
I do, but I lack the space to happily place all the corals i currently have, I'd rather have the corals than have the clam at this point. And I don't want to deal with the algae the increased light will likely bring. I've been battling algae since I got the tank.
 
Upvote 0
The AI are fine. A little bit of paying for brand but I really like the user experience/app functions. It comes down to a question of lighting for the tank and what you can keep. The AI Prime is small and not tremendously powerful and the spread for a single puck will be narrow for the tank size. So knowing these things it becomes more important on what you put in the tank, placement etc that will work with the light's capabilities.

The corals you have are fine for the light but the clam is a wrench in the gears so to speak. If you can't get the clam higher up then you might want to think about a small narrow beam focused 30w 5000-6000k led bulb with some sort of clip on type fixture so you can get a little spotlight directly on just the clam. It does not have to be some fancy aquarium reef light.
I'm struggling to find something like what you're saying. A lot of the narrow beam lights I'm finding are meant to be hard wired or are 5W or 12W lights. Are there any you know of for this application off hand?
 
Upvote 0
I'm struggling to find something like what you're saying. A lot of the narrow beam lights I'm finding are meant to be hard wired or are 5W or 12W lights. Are there any you know of for this application off hand?
Something like this 35w 6000k 25degree beam spotlight

might be a little overkill at almost 3000 lumens?
 
Upvote 0
I see, and ideally I'd pretty much place it directly on the glass lid to get the beam as close to the ckam as I can without it effecting as much of the tank?
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This might be a little more appropriate since you only really need to supplement the Prime a little 12w 5000k 24degree beam.

As for how to use it? I dunno.. kinda up to you if it's feasible or not to get a little clip on light bulb holder..or something to get the bulb to aim it over the clam.12w daylight led narrow beam
 
Upvote 0
This might be a little more appropriate since you only really need to supplement the Prime a little 12w 5000k 24degree beam.

As for how to use it? I dunno.. kinda up to you if it's feasible or not to get a little clip on light bulb holder..or something to get the bulb to aim it over the clam.12w daylight led narrow beam
I wonder. Can I keep the clam healthy without changing my lighting, and if I were to increase my current light, would it be too much for the LPS I have?
 
Upvote 0
I wonder. Can I keep the clam healthy without changing my lighting, and if I were to increase my current light, would it be too much for the LPS I have?
I think you could make do with the Prime if you crank it way up for the clam but that would require rearranging the corals. At least the torch up near the top that is new anyway. I would move that one down. Tank isn't that full so you could even do rock rearranging. Lots of options.. Long run you could get some of the LPS like the torch acclimated to light levels the clam would be happy with too. Not all LPS but some.
 
Upvote 0
I think you could make do with the Prime if you crank it way up for the clam but that would require rearranging the corals. At least the torch up near the top that is new anyway. I would move that one down. Tank isn't that full so you could even do rock rearranging. Lots of options.. Long run you could get some of the LPS like the torch acclimated to light levels the clam would be happy with too. Not all LPS but some.
I have a bernardopora at the top, actually higher than the clam sligly glued to rock. Should I plan on lowering that or are those good with high light? I've seen they need moderate but it has seemed happy and has tripled in size since I got it. And the torch, should I just plan on acclimating the light slowly up to a level the clam is happy while the torch is there?
 
Upvote 0
Don't fall into the trap that lps and soft corals don't like high light. Most corals will easily acclimate to a higher par. I have clams and sps and lps all mixed together.

Your corals will be fine under an AI Prime at max power.
 
Upvote 0
Don't fall into the trap that lps and soft corals don't like high light. Most corals will easily acclimate to a higher par. I have clams and sps and lps all mixed together.

Your corals will be fine under an AI Prime at max power.
Exactly, I keep my Zoanthids right next to my sps and clams. I will say though that my true soft corals seem to expand and grow better under less intense lighting. Those corals are Xenia, Sacrophyton, Sinularia and Clavularia.
As stated though an AI Prime is not going to cook anything on or near the sandbed.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new