New keeper not new tank

creationsessex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I've just bought my first marine tank. It's 425lt red sea. It was running in the previous owners house right up until the night before I collected. I Brought home 3/4 of the tanks water. All live rock and sand was kept wet. The previous owner was a very experienced keeper. My question is when can I add a CUC or corals etc. . Thank you

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! There are various opinions about when to add clean up crew, but remember that they will need to eat so one perspective is to wait until algae starts growing. Even though the rock and sand has been kept wet, there will be some level of die off (maybe big, maybe small) so you may want to focus on making sure the tank is fully cycled first. I'm sure that others will jump in with greetings and recommendations - whatever way you choose, good luck with your adventure!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Do you have testing kits to test the water’s parameters?

886CA0FD-5748-467E-95F8-2C6353B60A8B.gif

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I agree with @Peace River once you have something for them to eat, add some CUC. Personally I'd hold off on coral until you have it dialed in and everything is stabile

R2RWelcome.jpg
Welcome
As your tank was a running tank, and you kept rocks, sand and water, it should not take long. Just make sure sand did not released too many bacteria when it was moved. If your parameter are stable and good, you can start. Did you get any fish and inverts when you got your tank? I started, just like you with a running tank, and could buy cleaning crew immediately. My tank included 1 hermit, and 2 damsels. it was approximately 9 or 10 years ago. I still have one of the damsel.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get the tank setup and running again. I would check waters and if parameters look ok then add some inverts. You can get som GSP or easy to keep coral as a tester. If the GSP do well then buy another coral while you keep checking waters parameters(this way if coral dies you can have hard test numbers to try to figure out what’s happening)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I've just bought my first marine tank. It's 425lt red sea. It was running in the previous owners house right up until the night before I collected. I Brought home 3/4 of the tanks water. All live rock and sand was kept wet. The previous owner was a very experienced keeper. My question is when can I add a CUC or corals etc. . Thank you

Welcome! Glad you joined. I did similar and would have thought that movement of an established tank to new location would give me a jump ... but regarding corals and their consistency needs... my tank went from a very experienced coral grower to me who only had saltwater fish experience... It took 13 months to get water parameter stability. Sadly lost a lot of corals along the way this past year. All this to say, it really depends on more things than could be quantified here. We learned a LOT this past year, and know you will figure it out now that you have jumped in.

'start where you are, use what you have, do what you can' - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back