New keeper with setup questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter babyeel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

babyeel

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve gotten my family to agree to let me get a 75 gallon tank, and I’d love to have a snowflake moray in it. I am on a bit of a budget but I’d love any filter recommendations-especially quiet ones, my family doesnt want a loud tank. Do I truly need a canister filter or would like two submersibles with a protein skimmer work? Any advice helps, thank you!
 
Be sure to get a GOOD lockable tight lid. I've lost a few eels even with a good one. I quit even trying an eel
 
So I’ve gotten my family to agree to let me get a 75 gallon tank, and I’d love to have a snowflake moray in it. I am on a bit of a budget but I’d love any filter recommendations-especially quiet ones, my family doesnt want a loud tank. Do I truly need a canister filter or would like two submersibles with a protein skimmer work? Any advice helps, thank you!
Two things.

1. Canister filters are a pain to clean and thus can be a very bad choice. Get anything rated for that size tank and clean it regularly and you will be good.

2. Escapes! Eels are great at getting out and if you don’t want a dead eel you need to seal the tank and thus any filter needs to be able to be added without leaving an escape route.
 
Two things.

1. Canister filters are a pain to clean and thus can be a very bad choice. Get anything rated for that size tank and clean it regularly and you will be good.

2. Escapes! Eels are great at getting out and if you don’t want a dead eel you need to seal the tank and thus any filter needs to be able to be added without leaving an escape route.
Thank you, do you think I could do a magnetic lid as long as it’s really strong?
 
Thank you, do you think I could do a magnetic lid as long as it’s really strong?
You could, it’s the gaps you need to watch out for. I’ve used netting, airline tubing, superglue etc to fill in gaps.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new