New large anthias dead

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this anthias a week ago. It hung around in the side of the tank and didn’t swim in the open, but it ate when I fed the tank multiple times a day. Im shocked when I saw that it was attached to a power head in the morning even though it was alive at night.

How can I know what caused this? I bought this fish from LFS.

6A53EB7F-DFF6-44E1-90F3-D3FA4BA1C342.jpeg 75153991-43DE-4155-B155-F381C65C7719.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What salinity did your lfs have him in? And what was the salinity you put him in? Also, you won't really see anything without a microscope.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor fish agreed. I wonder what the tipping point will be for applying fallow and quarantine here, there’s no thread in this forum that advises skipping it with lfs fish added.

300 gallon several tangs mixed from lfs no disease preps
But it’s a very, very nice reef
very nice fish and corals

the fish are vectoring in pestilence that’s the only problem.

at least he posts honest updates, that’s commendable. Most just don’t inform of the losses, this helps in revealing honest trending we would expect solely from patterns in this forum

not that I keep any marine fish to be commenting about.

I blame @PaulB for this trend of losses though, people see his tank and feel they can get the same outcome. He spends time posting against qt and fallow to thousands, it’s costing the hobby.

MiamiReefs approach was 100% modeled off Pauls written advice. We’ve both posted in Pauls threads.

what the anthias brought into the system is also of concern for the several large tangs. This is not being mean it’s a reflection of threads here and prior warnings on this reef to prep prep prep prep against fish disease.

For Miami Reef to be this honest in updates means I think he 100% sincerely wants the best for his animals. Any training against qt and fallow for the masses is what I’m against, teaching anything that goes against work thread patterns for twenty pages is what I‘m against. I don’t think we can tell what killed the anthia, could also be genetic death not even a pathogen…due to the installation method we can’t know the cause here in my opinion.

I’m tracing direct multiple reef losses to your method Paul

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miami reef due to your sincerity, it’s rare I also promise you won’t see me affect any of your future threads, continue that honesty and your reef will turn out excellent as it ages. This one was my last rail against Paul on your legit query, apologies for that aspect. I can tell you are truly seeking the correct information and are not withholding any details about the challenges of running a reef tank the size of a small home…truly that’s a dang tough reef to run it’s still quite impressive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not bring Paul B into this. Paul clearly states that immune tanks are not simple. It takes time to develop immune resistance, and if fish die it’s because they couldn’t be immune quick enough. Paul B recommends live foods, collecting mud, NSW, reintroducing parasites…I’m not doing that. I even have a UV sterilizer and filter socks which Paul B doesn’t use.

I also believe anthias fish are not good examples of failure in not QT. Anthias are notoriously known for randomly dying - even with QT. Maybe Cyanid poisoning? It’s hard to tell, but I still have all my tangs with me except for the yellow tang with genetic birth defects. All my tangs are still in the tank.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the anthias being an adult male, I can't say if he died due to stress - collection method - disease or just didn't want to accept captivity (stress).

I have had plenty of fish pass in qt and never knew why. No signs of illness and eats. What can you do?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not bring Paul B into this. Paul clearly states that immune tanks are not simple. It takes time to develop immune resistance, and if fish die it’s because they couldn’t be immune quick enough.
To Late. ;)

I blame @PaulB for this trend of losses though, people see his tank and feel they can get the same outcome. He spends time posting against qt and fallow to thousands, it’s costing the hobby.
Yes I do to. Just medicate the scales off of those fish. :cool:

I also believe anthias fish are not good examples of failure in not QT. Anthias are notoriously known for randomly dying - even with QT.

Yes they are. They are also notoriously famous for dying during quarantine as anthius are a little more delicate and eat a little different than say a bulletproof clownfish. :)

But I would still blame me. :confused:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tracing direct multiple reef losses to your method Paul
Then take advice from someone with an old healthy tank where the fish are dying of old age and spawning. But quarantines and medicates just for the heck of it.

Let me know when you find that tank. ;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 166 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back