New LEDS causing air bubbles?

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, looking for some advice please. I changed from a 4 T5 set up to MarsAqua LEDS today and within about 4 hours all the rock in my tank seems to be covered in small air bubbles? Could the new lights be causing these bubbles? Are they something I should be worried about?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not what I would call micro bubbles, the are almost like when you put new live rock in and the air releases from the pours only they seem to be collecting on the rock? They definitely weren't there before, I stare at my tank more than I'd like to admit so I'd definitely have noticed them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photosynthesis from the algae creating air bubbles.
that's what it is. tiny amounts of cyano getting more light.
some folks tape over the red leds.

dont sweat it. its reducing your nutrients. keep an eye on the coral if your adding more light with no par or lux meter.

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I had a wee look on google after putting this post up and came to the cyano conclusion too, I just like having it confirmed on here as everyone is so knowledgeable! I've kept them turned down to about 40% and I know it's early but my white mat green star polyps and torch corals have honestly never looked better. The GSP especially and I've been having a bit of trouble getting it to fully open the past few weeks. The T5's were well overdue new bulbs so I think they are liking the extra light!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I had a wee look on google after putting this post up and came to the cyano conclusion too, I just like having it confirmed on here as everyone is so knowledgeable! I've kept them turned down to about 40% and I know it's early but my white mat green star polyps and torch corals have honestly never looked better. The GSP especially and I've been having a bit of trouble getting it to fully open the past few weeks. The T5's were well overdue new bulbs so I think they are liking the extra light!
Cut back the power to the LEDs and see if it goes away. Gradually increase intensity to keep algae down.

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut back the power to the LEDs and see if it goes away. Gradually increase intensity to keep algae down.

Ok cool, I'll turn them further down today and ramp them up over the next week or so then. Thanks for the advice!

Tay Kendall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I recently just added another ai prime to my 20g peninsula. I notice a bunch of air bubbles on the surface of the water and on the rocks but only when the lights have been on for awhile. They go away when the lights are off. If it's the cyano, im just wondering how long you experienced this? Cause it is kinda annoying. Lol any info would help! Thanks.

Side note: my coral and fish seem to be doing fine. The new additional light has been on for about 3 days now.

HiggsUSA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I recently just added another ai prime to my 20g peninsula. I notice a bunch of air bubbles on the surface of the water and on the rocks but only when the lights have been on for awhile. They go away when the lights are off. If it's the cyano, im just wondering how long you experienced this? Cause it is kinda annoying. Lol any info would help! Thanks.

Side note: my coral and fish seem to be doing fine. The new additional light has been on for about 3 days now.
I think it entirely depends on your system with regards to how long it will last. I just set up a 100gallon and used lights during the entire cycle. No particular reason I just liked the look. I was seeing the same dusting on the rocks and air bubbles after the cycle. I added 4 jars of galaxy pods and it was all gone overnight and my pod population took off. I'm dosing phyto now to keep them going crazy.

Just my experience. YMMV.

Tay Kendall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it entirely depends on your system with regards to how long it will last. I just set up a 100gallon and used lights during the entire cycle. No particular reason I just liked the look. I was seeing the same dusting on the rocks and air bubbles after the cycle. I added 4 jars of galaxy pods and it was all gone overnight and my pod population took off. I'm dosing phyto now to keep them going crazy.

Just my experience. YMMV.
Thanks for the reply! Yesterday it didn't happen so I'm thinking that whatever was going on has been cleared up hopefully. I'm loving the extra light though and so are my coral!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back