New light for Juwel 450 aquarium

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of now I have a pretty good (imo) lamp for my Juwel 450. The lights however do not turn on automatically etc. and I would like to change this.
I was thinking about the Juwel 1500 with a the wifi controller. However 2 questions arise with it: Is the color spectrum good for my corals/fish and do I need 1 or 2 of these? I cannot use light which hangs off the ceilling unfortunately, so that's out of the question. I mostly want to know what it is you experienced aquarists pay attention to in wavelength, regardless of how much I read, everyone says something different and I don't know what is considered "right" and what is considered "wrong".

Some info in regards to the lamp:
  • Wattage: 60 watt.
  • umen: 140 lumen per Watt.
  • Kelvin: Full light spectrum (I literally quoted this)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light seems to be a grow light, not intended for coral exclusively

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it would be a light of no use? Or could I also use it for corals ?
Personally I wouldn't use it. I see lots of red and green LED mixed in which are of little use to coral, and promote algae growth.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't use it. I see lots of red and green LED mixed in which are of little use to coral, and promote algae growth.
Is there a light you'd recommend for a 450? One which is good/healthy for fish and can basically be automated/used with app

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a light you'd recommend for a 450? One which is good/healthy for fish and can basically be automated/used with app
Lights for fish only can be what ever you want. You don't need some expensive light. Timing can be automated with a simple timer available at any hardware store.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights for fish only can be what ever you want. You don't need some expensive light. Timing can be automated with a simple timer available at any hardware store.
Correct, but I also need one for my corals and am mostly trying to get rid of the algae in the same time as well. The timer is understandable solution, but doesn't really make the day/night cycle possible, unless I set one color and then turn them off (which would immediately mean black)... or doesn't this matter for coral health/fish health?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, but I also need one for my corals and am mostly trying to get rid of the algae in the same time as well. The timer is understandable solution, but doesn't really make the day/night cycle possible, unless I set one color and then turn them off (which would immediately mean black)... or doesn't this matter for coral health/fish health?
What type of budget and lights do you prefer? T5 and halide are the best plug and play options. LED is definitely the current trend but cost more and require fine tuning.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of budget and lights do you prefer? T5 and halide are the best plug and play options. LED is definitely the current trend but cost more and require fine tuning.
I prefer LED, but I honestly have no idea what is good and what is bad and what to pay attention to exactly. For example: Some lights go for like 1,3k and I wonder: What's the difference between that and a decent LED?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer LED, but I honestly have no idea what is good and what is bad and what to pay attention to exactly. For example: Some lights go for like 1,3k and I wonder: What's the difference between that and a decent LED?
The par values, light appearance, customization and quality.

Start with researching the par value of the lights and what corals require. From there look into the features you want.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back