New lights

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current lights are old. Im paying tons for someone to simply change lighting while on vacation. I decided to look at new lights with a mid range budget of 500-550$. Can someone help me get a light/few lights, wifi controlled, and of course optimal for reef in that budget?

I was looking at popbloom rl90 thinking to get 3 of them but im undecided.

Tank is 100 gallon. 60x18×24
Thanks.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current lights are old. Im paying tons for someone to simply change lighting while on vacation. I decided to look at new lights with a mid range budget of 500-550$. Can someone help me get a light/few lights, wifi controlled, and of course optimal for reef in that budget?

Thanks.
Can almost get a open box reefbreeders photon 50 what I got above my 60x24x24

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.

Is that $500 total or for each light?

You could do a T5 setup for that.. Maybe a couple MH (I have never priced those so I am not sure) I honestly don't believe you could adequately light a tank your size with LED lights for anywhere near what you are looking to spend.

You could do it with the black box lights, but I have never found any of those to be any good.

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that $500 total or for each light?

You could do a T5 setup for that.. Maybe a couple MH (I have never priced those so I am not sure) I honestly don't believe you could adequately light a tank your size with LED lights for anywhere near what you are looking to spend.

You could do it with the black box lights, but I have never found any of those to be any good.
I could maybe stretch to 650 or 700 in total

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could maybe stretch to 650 or 700 in total

In my opinion, this is the one piece of equipment you are better off going all in for. You could get lights within your budget for sure and in a few months you will realize how much you hate them and then be looking for something else.. a couple rounds of that and then you will end up getting the quality ones you should have gotten in the first place.

I would deal with what you have for a while longer while you save your money and then get the high end lights that you KNOW you want.

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, this is the one piece of equipment you are better off going all in for. You could get lights within your budget for sure and in a few months you will realize how much you hate them and then be looking for something else.. a couple rounds of that and then you will end up getting the quality ones you should have gotten in the first place.

I would deal with what you have for a while longer while you save your money and then get the high end lights that you KNOW you want.
I know i want like aqua illumination but i always think they are overpriced for what they are. I like all the radion, neptune, and photons. I just think they are overpriced. I just dont see the value in them. I dont understand what makes them so expensive which is why im asking for the best value ones. My largest possible budget i would say is 800. Most likely not for like 7 months any more.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know i want like aqua illumination but i always think they are overpriced for what they are. I like all the radion, neptune, and photons. I just think they are overpriced. I just dont see the value in them. I dont understand what makes them so expensive which is why im asking for the best value ones. My largest possible budget i would say is 800. Most likely not for like 7 months any more.

What you are paying for is quality.

I use Kessil A360 tuna blues on my tank and I love them. The color is seamlessly blended, and you get a beautiful shimmer which I like. When you look at the sand, you see a solid clean color and not pockets of rainbows as you get with cheaper setups.

Typically the more expensive lights have a better warranty and better customer service if you need it. They tend to last much longer and do not throw off "hot spots" as the cheaper black box lights often do.

In the end, remember, these lights are for the CORALS, not for us or even the fish! The fish would be fine with ambient daylight and we humans are irrelevant.

Think what is best for your corals over the long term and balance that against the sticker shock and then you will understand the value.

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

I use Kessil A360 tuna blues on my tank and I love them. The color is seamlessly blended, and you get a beautiful shimmer which I like. When you look at the sand, you see a solid clean color and not pockets of rainbows as you get with cheaper setups.

Typically the more expensive lights have a better warranty and better customer service if you need it. They tend to last much longer and do not throw off "hot spots" as the cheaper black box lights often do.

In the end, remember, these lights are for the CORALS, not for us or even the fish! The fish would be fine with ambient daylight and we humans are irrelevant.

Think what is best for your corals over the long term and balance that against the sticker shock and then you will understand the value.
Ahhh Kessil lights. A fellow Kessil lover. Kessil never lets you down that’s for sure. Excellent customer service as well

OP
OP
M

mmmmmm773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

True, im thinking about the ai blades both grow and glow. I just dont know the coverage and overrall quality on them

Euphyllia Addixt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A360s are also good lights I like the a160 tuna blues a little better though.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A360s are also good lights I like the a160 tuna blues a little better though.

The 360s are more powerful than the 160s. They will provide the punch you need to reach the sand in a 24"H tank. They also offer more spread at higher par values than the 160s.

I prefer the smaller puck design of the 360s over the longer tube design of the 160s.

Yes the 360s are more expensive, but again, as I stated above, this is the one area I have learned through bitter experience, it is better to go all in once than try and go cheap.

I went through 4 different black box setups before I finally bit the bullet and went with the Kessils. I would have saved a bunch of money and time if I had just gone with the better lights from the start.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mmmmmm773 If you DO decide to go with the Kessil A360 Tuna Blues.. Spend the extra 20 or so dollars to get the 90* tube mounts instead of the goosenecks. The hollow tubes allow you to hide the wires much better than the goosenecks.

Also, if it's possible, get them all at once. 4 should cover your tank nicely. Make sure to get the K-link cables you need to connect them all so you only need the one wifi dongle.

See how the 2 center ones with the tube mounts hide the wires where the goosenecks on the outside pair I had to twist the wires around the bracket to try and make it look cleaner?

IMG_0322.jpg

Its only Money

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good post as I’m currently fighting a light issue as my single ai 16hd is not getting it done. Im covering a 24Lx23Wx24H with this light.18 months later I want to move away from Zoa’s into some soft corals but have little to no par from just above middle to the bottom. I really like the 360x but with job uncertainty during holidays it’s hard to dip into the nest egg. Black box’s appear more appealing as I’m not sure a single would give me the punch.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back