lighting advice

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently got a tank 36"x20"x20", it came with two kessil A160s with remote and im not sure if i should deep clean them as they dont function that well without cleaning or should replace them and get 2 Gen 4 xr15 Radions (8 month use)

i would really like some advice if this is a good decision or look for other alternative lights since they're an older generation as im on a bit of a budget

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean when you say they don't function well? Kessil 160s are excellent fixtures.

Unless you're doing wall-to-wall SPS those 2 fixtures should be plenty of light.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean when you say they don't function well? Kessil 160s are excellent fixtures.

Unless you're doing wall-to-wall SPS those 2 fixtures should be plenty of light.
I see, I mean the inside of the fixtures are caked in dust, I can’t really go inside them because I can’t find the right screw to open them. Because of this only one light works but the fan is insanely loud and the other doesn’t turn on and makes the battery pack light dim and flicker
But if they’re enough lights I will get a par meter to verify, I asked someone about it and they said it was not enough so I thought I needed a better light

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
enough vs not enough light is fully dependent on what you intend to keep in the tank. What are your thoughts there?

You could try a can of compressed air, like they use for cleaning computer hardware, to blow the dust out?

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
enough vs not enough light is fully dependent on what you intend to keep in the tank. What are your thoughts there?

You could try a can of compressed air, like they use for cleaning computer hardware, to blow the dust out?
Maybe.. I’ll try that but i feel like it’s to the point I need to put some elbow grease into the inside vents.
I also want to keep a mixed reef

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x 160s should be perfectly fine for a mixed reef of your size

1709227631863.png

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x 160s should be perfectly fine for a mixed reef of your size

1709227631863.png
Thank you! Just a bit scared it won’t be enough light for the bottom coral since there would be hotspots and light coverage wouldn’t be even

I was planning on getting diffusers if I went with the Radions

If I can’t clean them, should I replace them with Radions or find other kessil lights(360x/we) that are on the market here? Since I have the controller and two goosenecks

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's completely up to you, if you choose to replace them. I favor Kessils (I use the AP9x on both of my systems) because of the immaculate shimmer, rivaled only by metal halides and natural sunlight. There is also documented evidence of superior color development using kessils (check out the vid linked below). On my system, I supplemented the kessils with an Orphek LED bar to reduce shadowing and increase PAR lower in the tank. Photo of this also below.

Some other excellent options:

Reefi: https://www.reefi-lab.com/product-category/lighting/

Reefbreeders Photon: https://reefbreeders.com/reefbreeders/

Orphek bars: https://amzn.to/3V2sH2r

1709229642736.png

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a bit late to bringing it up, but sadly I was not able to clean the lights as the screws were too loose for any screw I’ve tried and I think it’s best to replace them.
I just want to ask if buying a radion G4 xr15 is a good investment still, to me it’s a lot of money and want to be sure it’s the best light I can afford at around 215 ea. But I want to be sure if this is the best choice, if there is a better light used/new I would appreciate anyone’s input.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're on a budget, I'd go with a NooPsyche K7:

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're on a budget, I'd go with a NooPsyche K7:

Thank you, I’ll look into them right now but do you think they’re better than the G4?

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better? Probably not if we're not considering $, but you'd probably need 2 radions to cover your tank, whereas a single K7 would probably suffice.
Realy?! Wouldn’t that mess with the spread? and if the Radions are a bit better, I wouldn't mind the extra cost, I just want to be sure im getting the best lights for my cost range

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back