New Live Aquaria Clam

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this a Deresa clam in from Live Aquaria from their Wisconsin location. he’s opening up my only concern is there’s a hole where I can see right through his mantle is this normal?

E81DE8C2-4178-4E3C-9C9C-C3332EE81EF2.jpeg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a happy clam, the incurrent and outcurrent siphon "holes" are normal, but this clam is "gaping"- open shell w/o the mantle being extended. Is it it reacting to light/shadows? if not, may want to give it the "smell" check, see if it may have "moved on"

Sorry for your troubles.

Mind posting params? fish/invert list ? have you checked for pryamid snails ?

OP
OP
Kammetal

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a happy clam, the incurrent and outcurrent siphon "holes" are normal, but this clam is "gaping"- open shell w/o the mantle being extended. Is it it reacting to light/shadows? if not, may want to give it the "smell" check, see if it may have "moved on"

Sorry for your troubles.

Mind posting params? fish/invert list ? have you checked for pryamid snails ?
I hope it’s just reacting to light...
He came in today and I just turned on the lights due to the acclimation process.
Water parameters
Ph-8.25
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrate-10

calcium 400
Alk 11.5
Mg 1300

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it close / have a reaction to shadows ? pass you hand over it between the light and surface of the water, if it does nothing, outlook maybe grim, if it does react/close up a bit, there may still be hope.

is ammonia really .5 ppm? if so thats an issue, and if the clam is not reacting to shadows or physical handling, it could be dead and the cause of ammonia.

Alk is pretty high for coral, but clams are usually okay with a little higher alk.

Are you using instant ocean brand salt by chance? your numbers reflect its parameters if you arent dosing.

OP
OP
Kammetal

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it close / have a reaction to shadows ? pass you hand over it between the light and surface of the water, if it does nothing, outlook maybe grim, if it does react/close up a bit, there may still be hope.

is ammonia really .5 ppm? if so thats an issue, and if the clam is not reacting to shadows or physical handling, it could be dead and the cause of ammonia.

Alk is pretty high for coral, but clams are usually okay with a little higher alk.

Are you using instant ocean brand salt by chance? your numbers reflect its parameters if you arent dosing.
I’m sorry ammonia 0
yes I’m using reef crystals
No response when my hand went over the light ...
He came In like that to I’ll have to contact them ASAP.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry ammonia 0
yes I’m using reef crystals
No response when my hand went over the light ...
He came In like that to I’ll have to contact them ASAP.

Yeah, id say the outlook is not good unfortunately, watch your hermits and cleaner crew, once it starts decomp, they will come start eating it, Id do the smell check on it tomorrow if it is still looking this bad.

Sorry for your troubles

OP
OP
Kammetal

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, id say the outlook is not good unfortunately, watch your hermits and cleaner crew, once it starts decomp, they will come start eating it, Id do the smell check on it tomorrow if it is still looking this bad.

Sorry for your troubles
Will do just contacted Live Aquaria

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a goner. Liveaquaria’s divers den has a long bad reputation for clams. Get them from the ORA section instead. Aquasd has wyswg ora clams from time to time and I have good experiences with theirs too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Derasa a little touchy. Go with maxima.
Derasa- .... fairly bright light, ph of 8.2, low current, salinity of 35pp and phyto feedings
Give it an extra day to take in water before assuming it is a goner

OP
OP
Kammetal

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya he’s a goner went to look at the tank and he’s still in the same position went to move him and he was deteriating. He was definately dead upon arrival. First time ordering from them let’s see how it goes hopefully they honor their warranty

OP
OP
Kammetal

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a goner. Liveaquaria’s divers den has a long bad reputation for clams. Get them from the ORA section instead. Aquasd has wyswg ora clams from time to time and I have good experiences with theirs too.
Ya I ordered it from the divers den

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, sorry for the loss, hope LA does you right.

Derasa a little touchy. Go with maxima.
Derasa- .... fairly bright light, ph of 8.2, low current, salinity of 35pp and phyto feedings
Give it an extra day to take in water before assuming it is a goner
Hmm
While all Tridacnia clams are considered to be a bit more for intermediate to advanced animals to keep.

I have always considered derasas, gigas and squamosas to be the easiest species of the genus.
Where as croceas and maximas to be the most challenging, esp with lighting demands.
Everyone's mileage will vary though

OP
OP
Kammetal

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, sorry for the loss, hope LA does you right.

Hmm
While all Tridacnia clams are considered to be a bit more for intermediate to advanced animals to keep.

I have always considered derasas, gigas and squamosas to be the easiest species of the genus.
Where as croceas and maximas to be the most challenging, esp with lighting demands.
Everyone's mileage will vary though
I was under the same impression Deresa clams were the easiest to care for

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does it look any different today ?
Have you noticed any crabs or snails within its' shell?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry for your loss. Clams are tricky and little we can do for them when they go south. Derasa are the easiest FME, but that does not mean easy. They are still an advanced keeper item. Mostly that just means, you have a very stable system and it is mature and you are comfortable with the maintenance and such. This takes time as a keeper.

In my opinion, I would hold off buying clams over internet for a while and maybe wait until some local swaps begin again. You want to see it before buying if possible. Good luck for everything else.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back