New LPS ID help needed

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I got some new corals today and haven’t been able to identify this one. Hoping someone can so that I can make sure it’s placed in the right spot. The LFS didn’t know either.

19B462D4-216B-4346-8F6E-03459B7CA991.jpeg 118BB42D-40E5-4513-ADBF-7951C0A32D49.jpeg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Hard to keep up with all the new reclassifications.

Indeed it is, plus sooo many species of astrea, plesiastrea, micromussa, goniastrea, phymastrea and even some species of platygyra that dont have connected/ undulating corallite walls get imported , misidentified and sold as Favia by wholesalers, retailers and hobbyists alike.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. So for care requirements it should be the same as typical favia then, right
Yes,
whether its favia, phymastrea, plesiastrea, dipsastraea etc etc all have the basic same care requirements, make sure you give it some room between it and other corals, they can extend pretty long sweeper tentacles at night.

OP
OP
Turkey head

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s how I have them spaced now. The second from the left and the last on the right are ones I’ve had for a long time. The one on the left has never shown any real sweeper extension that I’ve seen. On the right I’ve seen a few about an inch long. I used to have a favites colony about 2.5 inches across and it put out some sweepers at least 6 inches long. I don’t know what the new ones will do so I hope the spacing is ok.

here’s the other two new ones because everyone love coral pictures.

581D3611-1823-440B-BA68-477CE8209969.jpeg
6B758BAC-67DE-499A-88A6-99C0BCC27B88.jpeg
4E09EA39-7EDB-406C-BF1F-C00671D4E878.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
referred to as moon, it is actually Favites, not Favia. The Favites Corals are large polyp stony (LPS) corals often referred to as Moon, Pineapple, Brain, Closed Brain, Star, Worm, or Honeycomb Coral. They are the most common and prolific coral in the world, and are very similar to the genus Favia, sharing many of the same common names, and sometimes being very difficult to differentiate. Favites Corals are found in various color forms and polyp shapes.
The Favites Corals are aggressive, expanding their sweeper tentacles at night well beyond the base. It is important to leave space between them and neighbors in the reef aquarium. Maintenance for the Favites Corals is relatively easy, making them excellent choices for the beginner to expert hobbyist. They require moderate lighting combined with moderate water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, calcium, strontium, and other trace elements should be added to the water. It will also benefit from the addition of supplemental food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp, fed twice per week in the evening while its tentacles are visible.

OP
OP
Turkey head

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The existing two have a base under them and will stay in the sand bed. The new ones will be moved to the rocks at some point

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
referred to as moon, it is actually Favites, not Favia. The Favites Corals are large polyp stony (LPS) corals often referred to as Moon, Pineapple, Brain, Closed Brain, Star, Worm, or Honeycomb Coral. They are the most common and prolific coral in the world, and are very similar to the genus Favia, sharing many of the same common names, and sometimes being very difficult to differentiate. Favites Corals are found in various color forms and polyp shapes.
The Favites Corals are aggressive, expanding their sweeper tentacles at night well beyond the base. It is important to leave space between them and neighbors in the reef aquarium. Maintenance for the Favites Corals is relatively easy, making them excellent choices for the beginner to expert hobbyist. They require moderate lighting combined with moderate water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, calcium, strontium, and other trace elements should be added to the water. It will also benefit from the addition of supplemental food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp, fed twice per week in the evening while its tentacles are visible.

Hope Im not to coming off as rude, but OPs coral is most certainly not a favites. Its very distinct, especially with OPs species, very separate walls/ costae are apparent.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hope Im not to coming off as rude, but OPs coral is most certainly not a favites. Its very distinct, especially with OPs species, very separate walls/ costae are apparent.
Now im seeing a series of pics. I was referring to top one.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Top / original is clearly not sharing corallite walls, which is what I was referring to, it is definitely not a favites.
Hmmm. . . Always knew this as Favite Laxa - member of Diploastreidae group. Will have to look this up when I get home.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Favites Corals are aggressive, expanding their sweeper tentacles at night well beyond the base. It is important to leave space between them and neighbors in the reef aquarium. Maintenance for the Favites Corals is relatively easy, making them excellent choices for the beginner to expert hobbyist. They require moderate lighting combined with moderate water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, calcium, strontium, and other trace elements should be added to the water. It will
Hmmm. . . Always knew this as Favite Laxa - member of Diploastreidae group. Will have to look this up when I get home.

But you said originally it was favites, not favia?

thats where Im confused?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back