New Mag arrived. Journey to the DT!

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew....the first pic had me worry. Glad it recovered for you. I will have to reach out to gig'em when I'm ready for my second attempt. My first attempt was a complete failure.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew....the first pic had me worry. Glad it recovered for you. I will have to reach out to gig'em when I'm ready for my second attempt. My first attempt was a complete failure.

Yeah I was pretty stressed out about it myself most of the day until the mouth finally closed up almost all the way and it inflated 3x the size that night. I had my treatment tank running already, had a new batch of water mixed and ready, and already cut up the portions of cipro tablets. Glad I didn't need any of it.

@gig 'em is great. Not sure if he regularly sells mags, but he probably has at least one more that he would sell. You should read his threads about treating his mags. He does a great job with cipro and nurses them to full health. From other nem experts, I've heard that once they've made the import process, quick overnight shipping most likely won't damage nor have bacteria infections that would need treatment on a mag. So if you're getting a mag from someone who's had it for awhile, your chances are much improved. Still have cipro and all that ready just in case.

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright!!! That's looking much closer to what I was expecting the day after shipping. Looking real good! Keep the pics coming [emoji1]
Where in Texas are you located? I'm also from Texas

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet video. Funny, that one clown freaking out...let me in!

Yeah, this was the first moment any of them has seen an anemone, let alone a H. Magnifica (their natural host in the wild). It was like they were tripping on drugs big time. I wonder if they were also getting stung a bit, which could be why they were tweaking out a bit crazily.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to make the flat rock smooth for anemones foot?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to make the flat rock smooth for anemones foot?

Two Little Fishies Aquastik:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquastik-underwater-epoxy-putty-stone-grey-two-little-fishies.html

I used @Bulk Reef Supply's Tonga Shelf Rock, and just ordered 5lbs (smallest amount I could) and asked for small flat pieces. They gave me three, in increasing size (so awesome). After a quick rinse and dry, I put thin layers of epoxy on each rock and they cured overnight. I then put them in RO/DI water for a couple weeks (they were leeching out quite a bit of phosphates).

Even today, the mag has not moved! Fully inflated, except every so often one of my clowns gets so excited she starts biting the tentacles and it deflates a bit. She's so weird. I was worried, but the mag seems OK after about 10 minutes of deflating some of its tentacles where it was getting bit.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back