new mandarin

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one teach a new mandarin how to eat frozen foods/pellets? I just purchased one at my local lfs. They just received it yesterday and don’t know if he is trained to eating frozen foods/pellets. Also if possible are the way to go, where does one go about buying them?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, with any fish please make sure it is eating frozen or pellets before purchase and you actually see it eat. It's quite ok to tell the lfs to feed it in front of you.

Now as for training them, its gonna be up to the fish, lol most mandarins will certainly not eat pellets but may take frozen if hungry enough as it floats on the sand bed.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I usually don’t worry about doing anything to train them on frozen. Eventually they just start taking frozen as it floats nearby.

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I usually don’t worry about doing anything to train them on frozen. Eventually they just start taking frozen as it floats nearby.

Innovative marine 40 gallon

thanhk87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turn off your flow and spot feel him a few time. He will slowly eat it if hes hungry.
It took me 1 week to get him to start trying. He spit it out the first few try, but eventually he will start. Be patients and you might want to feed the other fish first. As they will run in and eat it all before he even get a try at it. Now hes eating like a champ.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every one I have ever purchased has eaten frozen blood worms with no coaxing, training , or gadgets.

I now keep a chaeto refugium loaded with pods. So I no longer “try” to feed my Mandarin. They get food constantly from the pod supply.

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the future, you shouldn’t purchase delicates without extensively researching their feeding habits and how to accommodate. We don’t need to risk more dead dragonets.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is going to need pods. He cannot survive on only frozen or pellets unless you are home to feed him constantly. His main food source is pods. Make sure your tank has enough pods for a couple of months. I would seed your tank with @AlgaeBarn 5280 pods. Then build a Paul B mandarin feeder as @LIreefguy stated. From here you can feed baby brine shrimp or other foods like can o cyclops. Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask if you have questions.

Alex

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank, do you feel you have a healthy pod population, getting them to feed might give them a chance, they will peck for pods every 5 - 10 seconds all day long, you need pods, good luck, got a pic of it? :)

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank, do you feel you have a healthy pod population, getting them to feed might give them a chance, they will peck for pods every 5 - 10 seconds all day long, you need pods, good luck, got a pic of it? :)

I used to have a fluval evo and moved all my rock work over that was running for about 6 months. I upgraded to an IM 40 2 months ago
And will get a photo tonight for you

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing a lot of research since i got a mandarin too... I would consider buying a Poseidon Phyo Tank. You can culture your copepods and it looks pretty cool.. im going to buy one so i can have a pair of mandarins in my tank.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to let you all know i bought a Poseidon Reef System (https://poseidonreefsystems.com/).

This did not come up in an initial google research and i stumbled upon it eventually. I just ordered mine and i'm hoping i can keep a mandarin goby and red ruby dragonet!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back