New Marine help please

De47h Add3r

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a new 45 gal tank with 40 lb araganite (sp) and 20 lb of black hawaiian live sand. I also have about 30 pounds of live rock that I have molded into a nice grotto for hiding spaces. My salinity level is great, but I can't seem to get my pH under control. It keeps dropping below 8 and I don't know how to raise it. I have used baking soda, pH increase chemicals, all to no avail. I thought perhaps I needed more movement in the water so I added a bubbler and saw the pH start to rise but never get above the 8.0 mark. I also have a full spectrum light that is time controlled so that the tank is not always lit up and the fish, if I can ever get the tank fixed, would not have to be like a college junior during rush week mixed with midterms, up all night and stressed out. I have a 3 part filter which has a mechanical and biological filter including an aeration tank, but it seems like the water wasn't getting enough O2 thus the bubbler. Since adding the bubbler I have a remarkable amount of salt buildup on the glass which I fixed with a 15 gallon water switch. I would like to add a pair of maroon clowns, 2 dragonets, a large bubble anemone, a coral beauty, and 2 horseshoe crabs. What do I need to do in order to get this thing up and running? This seems so much more difficult than my 10 gal back in 2004. Please help I am trying to have this set up before my children start homeschooling this summer and I am able to use it as a biology lesson and ecosystem unit. Thank you so much I have heard great things about this community and am glad to be joining.

-Andrew

Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
If this is happening at night and lights out- normal
Can safely drop to 7.6 as long as it comes back up during the day

fishguy242

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun..
agree ,drop to high 7's at night back to 8 8.3 during peak not a problem,
be sure to check at same time ,every time,as moves up and down all day and night.. :)

SWEET 17 Live Sale!

BeardedDragon21

View Badges
Reaction score
Also depending on the air source for your pump (indoor vs outdoor) you might be introducing CO2 to the tank lowering the pH by producing carbonic acid... If your wanting extra support you can get an inline CO2 scrubber on your air source either for the bubbler or skimmer to eliminate that acid production

mdb_talon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would be careful with chemicals to raise the PH. They are all going to be raising alk also and you made no mention of alk level but everytime you adding those chemicals you are increasing it. There is nothing at all wrong with a PH below 8...especially as you only mention wanting to stock fish.

Let the tank stabilize. Aeration and gas exchange is important and may be ehat is depressing your PH so maybe look further that route, but i would avoid the chemicals if the only reason is PH

OP
D

De47h Add3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the info, it's great to get some positive reinforcement. My tank has been running almost a month. Is there a way to know when my cycle is complete or where it is in the process?

Fritz

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the info, it's great to get some positive reinforcement. My tank has been running almost a month. Is there a way to know when my cycle is complete or where it is in the process?
First off, get yourself some good test kits - Red Sea & others are good (please avoid the API kits) Ammonia & nitrate & salinity are your main concerns, later you'll want Alk, Cal & mag if you plan on corals.
Re: your stocking list, be careful when adding livestock not to overload your system - usually after tank cycles maybe a fish a month (maybe two if small) re: anemone - IMO wait at least 6 mos. Patience is the key to success in reefing.

How healthy are your fish?

• All of them are Healthy

Votes: 320 80.8%
  • Most of them are Healthy

Votes: 52 13.1%
  • Half of them are Healthy

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Most are Unhealthy

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • All are Unhealthy

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Other (please explain)