New member admiring builds and researching an Indonesian Mangrove/Coral Reef-Inspired Build

OP
OP
P

Paluscapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks for all of the responses, you guys are a very friendly and welcoming community.

For clarity, I didn't take the pictures from the initial post (I wish I did), but found them on google when researching an Indonesian Mangrove+Coral Reef. I like to make presentations for myself with stocking lists, species profiles for plants & animals, and inspiration for the build.

I'm unable to upload a better quality pic due to the resolution cap, but here is a shot of the viv when I first set it up. I will add more vines, branches, and mini-orchids/ferns/mosses/epiphytes to the upper section before frogs arrive. But for now the focus is on letting the larger aroids and bromeliads grow out and establish themselves.

A more detailed build log can be found here

1672908685374.png

Looking forward to researching and engaging more, thanks for the links and pics sent so far!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Thanks for having me on the forum. I am usually based in United Kingdom and previously had a couple freshwater aquascapes and a poison dart frog vivarium there, which I rehomed when I moved out to Kenya for work this summer. I still have a 650-litre cloud forest-inspired vivarium with plants only that is growing in while I'm away (95% automated, minimal maintenance) with the hope to house some frogs in the future. I have a nature instagram that is essentially my journey into conservation and keeping of tropical flora and fauna, and attempts to improve my photography skills.

I've always been fascinated with Saltwater fish and the incredible biodiversity/ecosystems that can be seen in nature and replicated at home in aquaria. But a recent trip to the Kenyan coast with some incredible snorkelling (Parrotfish, Angelfish and so many more I couldn't name) has got me fascinated in reefing and discovering more. I was also fascinated by a very brief visit to a mangrove in Nigeria (half of my family is from there) and seeing mudskippers on the bank. The next time I'm back I have promised to explore much more.

I will be away for work for the best part of a year so looking to take the time to research and read up on reefkeeping, listen to podcasts, watch videos etc. Even if I don't keep anything myself, I love finding out about (ethical) pet and plant keeping hobbies, like aquascaping, and these forums seem a great place to start. Dendroboard, for Poison Dart Frog keepers also has a wealth of build threads in its archives, and I hope to dive deep into Reef2Reef and discover the creations you guys have made. I understand the saltwater hobby to be a labour of love in many senses, and I admire the passion many people have to run a tank (or 5) and attention to detail required for successful husbandry.

My current vision of a tank down the line is a large, low-stocked shallow tank, inspired by an Indonesian Coral Reef/Mangrove. Some Clowns and perhaps Banggai cardinalfish with some inverts + macroalgae/seagrass, anemones, corals, mangroves. I have seen some beautiful builds incorporating mangroves and replicating that marginal ecosystem. I wonder if anyone has experience building something similar or thinks this would be a good idea for a build? Looking forward to learning more. Pics below of an Indonesian Mangrove/Coral Reef that gave me some inspiration.

ItAlvFbS7E3YMWAw8pq8FFralesBXe4UYWdh7LRI0sC3_PbshOhqBw3XrzSCqmI1hAhqVjAFP0Kg3ehJWD_1rjkCdm8MjjVmhZgs-mdqZFdM_jjXH4tfplrSKqr74GlZ-1IEvTBlAWxtyEAEayB8jYUKOSRoxA2uVxJ5OGsxmAhM5mIpxV9EQkh36s_r_GNS

s5zpYL8Y8gbzP4zkhcynANROaS2TSY6T9ZR_RcS9mWjJ86hWm_XV4aRfM7JaA6Zvhyb3y9la7VJ4I1pAJgI3WJ3scfwwO_rxHmGID4Y4QFykn_HZa2zGIAzonEzALgUWZPe1d220yum8MuGYk3rZbv1YS5ezXSTSPV0_vZKmM3jXguH8jCykc61bSSIi6U0T

XOLYZYZksalw7XQiCrwPJBO7ID-7x3_XBKa_DA_Qbd-LfrFLI06AI7X_vSJjV-UeDQVa0HLG2Q7rdNu17Ya_IzaCX2xh1LLjJMgSMW3Y4uw7-CSkE8M3ZYvmQcnoIMPgggRfjrBZt602IeYWCGwTLSBlteqt4oLNNdvCkkARDCY-aUV-zAiNuHkinG943o9_

Welcome! Glad you joined.

This might help you find people local to you in London:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Thanks for having me on the forum. I am usually based in United Kingdom and previously had a couple freshwater aquascapes and a poison dart frog vivarium there, which I rehomed when I moved out to Kenya for work this summer. I still have a 650-litre cloud forest-inspired vivarium with plants only that is growing in while I'm away (95% automated, minimal maintenance) with the hope to house some frogs in the future. I have a nature instagram that is essentially my journey into conservation and keeping of tropical flora and fauna, and attempts to improve my photography skills.

I've always been fascinated with Saltwater fish and the incredible biodiversity/ecosystems that can be seen in nature and replicated at home in aquaria. But a recent trip to the Kenyan coast with some incredible snorkelling (Parrotfish, Angelfish and so many more I couldn't name) has got me fascinated in reefing and discovering more. I was also fascinated by a very brief visit to a mangrove in Nigeria (half of my family is from there) and seeing mudskippers on the bank. The next time I'm back I have promised to explore much more.

I will be away for work for the best part of a year so looking to take the time to research and read up on reefkeeping, listen to podcasts, watch videos etc. Even if I don't keep anything myself, I love finding out about (ethical) pet and plant keeping hobbies, like aquascaping, and these forums seem a great place to start. Dendroboard, for Poison Dart Frog keepers also has a wealth of build threads in its archives, and I hope to dive deep into Reef2Reef and discover the creations you guys have made. I understand the saltwater hobby to be a labour of love in many senses, and I admire the passion many people have to run a tank (or 5) and attention to detail required for successful husbandry.

My current vision of a tank down the line is a large, low-stocked shallow tank, inspired by an Indonesian Coral Reef/Mangrove. Some Clowns and perhaps Banggai cardinalfish with some inverts + macroalgae/seagrass, anemones, corals, mangroves. I have seen some beautiful builds incorporating mangroves and replicating that marginal ecosystem. I wonder if anyone has experience building something similar or thinks this would be a good idea for a build? Looking forward to learning more. Pics below of an Indonesian Mangrove/Coral Reef that gave me some inspiration.

ItAlvFbS7E3YMWAw8pq8FFralesBXe4UYWdh7LRI0sC3_PbshOhqBw3XrzSCqmI1hAhqVjAFP0Kg3ehJWD_1rjkCdm8MjjVmhZgs-mdqZFdM_jjXH4tfplrSKqr74GlZ-1IEvTBlAWxtyEAEayB8jYUKOSRoxA2uVxJ5OGsxmAhM5mIpxV9EQkh36s_r_GNS

s5zpYL8Y8gbzP4zkhcynANROaS2TSY6T9ZR_RcS9mWjJ86hWm_XV4aRfM7JaA6Zvhyb3y9la7VJ4I1pAJgI3WJ3scfwwO_rxHmGID4Y4QFykn_HZa2zGIAzonEzALgUWZPe1d220yum8MuGYk3rZbv1YS5ezXSTSPV0_vZKmM3jXguH8jCykc61bSSIi6U0T

XOLYZYZksalw7XQiCrwPJBO7ID-7x3_XBKa_DA_Qbd-LfrFLI06AI7X_vSJjV-UeDQVa0HLG2Q7rdNu17Ya_IzaCX2xh1LLjJMgSMW3Y4uw7-CSkE8M3ZYvmQcnoIMPgggRfjrBZt602IeYWCGwTLSBlteqt4oLNNdvCkkARDCY-aUV-zAiNuHkinG943o9_
Hi and welcome to R2R! Those photos are amazing! I hope you’ll get to start a mangrove build. I know that many of us would love to see pictures of it.
Welcome to r2r

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Very cool concept, one I'd like to emulate myself. I've been growing some mangroves out in FW for 2 years now, waiting until I have space for the right shallow lagoon tank.

Here's a resource that you may enjoy reading, the Mangrove Manual by Julian Sprung, who has some well known mangrove tanks - https://www.twolittlefishies.com/images/mangrove_manual.pdf

Here's a video of the SW mangrove pond in front of his home in Florida.

and

and

Also, here's a great 40g shallow lagoon tank that I've been inspired by, and that sounds similar to your vision. Enjoy!

OP
OP
P

Paluscapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Very cool concept, one I'd like to emulate myself. I've been growing some mangroves out in FW for 2 years now, waiting until I have space for the right shallow lagoon tank.

Here's a resource that you may enjoy reading, the Mangrove Manual by Julian Sprung, who has some well known mangrove tanks - https://www.twolittlefishies.com/images/mangrove_manual.pdf

Here's a video of the SW mangrove pond in front of his home in Florida.

and

and

Also, here's a great 40g shallow lagoon tank that I've been inspired by, and that sounds similar to your vision. Enjoy!

I had come across this fellow's name during initial research - thank you very much for all of these resources, I'll definitely look into them.

Thanks again to this community for being so welcoming and helpful!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back