OP
chorizo619

chorizo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! As you know, lionfish usually try to eat anything that can fit in their mouth, so they tend to be a one species tank. That said, if you use the search bar, you can find a number of threads from folks that have successfully created awesome lionfish tanks. Looking forward to seeing your tank build.
Yes I do know this, and that’s thanks to this awesome site! That’s why I tweaked my love for the awesome volitan lion fish and decided on the dwarf zebra lion fish. I still have plenty of time to decide on compatible tank mates but as of right now I have plenty of hiding spaces. I tweaked my scape to add more caves. What kind of gloves would you recommend? I have some gloves that I use for grilling/smoking. Would something like that work?

OP
OP
chorizo619

chorizo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this ... great attitude!
I used to work in an environmental center with an aquarium exhibit. We had lion fish paired with a porcupine puffer and a yellow tang. It was fascinating. Those lion fish are just awe inspiring. Everybody in the tank got along and basically ignored each other. They were well fed, so I guess no snacking by the lion fish.
One tip... make sure you have good gloves that will prevent penetration from the spines. Getting stung makes for a really really bad day.
Welcome to the fishy fam!
enchanted kingdom fish GIF by BBC America
I fell in love with that fish as soon as I saw it. Had to tweak it and I settled on the dwarf lion fish as my go to fish, I’m thinking of getting a maroon clown fish so my son can meet nemo’s cousin. So I figured a smaller lion fish will minimize him eating anything

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell in love with that fish as soon as I saw it. Had to tweak it and I settled on the dwarf lion fish as my go to fish, I’m thinking of getting a maroon clown fish so my son can meet nemo’s cousin. So I figured a smaller lion fish will minimize him eating anything
The dwarf fuzzy lion fish is my personal favorite. They are just stunning.
We never had clowns in the exhibit. All of the fish were pretty big - 5" tang matched with the very large puffer and lion. Make sure that the maroon is not bite size. Maroons are alpha fish but strutting around the tank like Kayne isn't going to protect him from being chum if it's outsized. Think proportion when you get your fish.
Truly excited about the build!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back