New Member/Super Budget Build

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Skip to the pics if you aren't keen on reading)

I recently moved cross country, from San Diego to State College, Pa (Penn State). I gave my sister almost everything I owned that was saltwater, including my DT. So now I am here, and starting from scratch. I decided to see just how cheap I could do it this round. I seem to get better and better at it, as time goes on. So I thought I'd share what I am getting, how I'm getting it, and for how much. Any experienced reefer will tell you, if you don't have a lot of money, you better have a lot of patience.

So here's what I did so far:

First, I perused Craigslist daily for aquariums. I especially looked under the free section. It wasn't too long before I was able to pick up a 55 gallon and 75 gallon from a ex-state trooper- for free! First big win. I also searched CL for people selling their setups for cheap. I looked outside my immediate area as much as possible. I was able to pick up two pump-less protein skimmers for $80 in Pittsburgh; a two hour drive away. And I got a wet dry filter and a reactor (I think).

(actual picture from the CL ad)

skimmer.jpg

Next, I found a guy getting rid of his entire setup for $100. He was leaving to Hawaii, needed to offload it asap, and it was kind of looking in bad shape. I got HOB overflow, Mag Drive 9.5, HOB Protein Skimmer, and a bunch of other great stuff. I actually cheated here. I looked on CL in San Diego, and had my sister buy this as one of my Xmas gifts. She was the one who really won though because she got a bunch of much needed live rock- about $300 worth. My cost- zero.

I needed to build a stand, I decided to build a large enough stand to support both tanks, and later maybe upgrade to a monster tank. I needed wood for that, so I checked Lowe's cull wood section. I was able to talk them down on prices, and got enough wood for under $50 and have surplus. I also picked up screws, bolts and some acrylic from an auction, and now have a surplus of each after building the tank. Cost $15.

I grabbed some black nylon tubing (down flow) from a neighbor for free, as well as a few fittings, and then bought a few ball valves, some reinforced nylon tubing (up flow) and whatever other fittings I needed; $40.

I needed a pump for the skimmer, and got a new Rio 1700 off Amazon for $42. I threw away the old busted pump, which looked like a Rio, and just got the size I thought would work. I ended up getting two 29 gallon tanks from goodwill for $10, and those will be sumps (I'm just building out the 75g at the moment).

So........ I'll get to the meat and potatoes and start with the pics.

Here is the stand I built. It's 8'6"L X 38"H X 27"W, and will easily hold both the 75 and 55, plus the 29g sumps, with room to spare. It doesn't look that long, but it's an optical illusion. That 75 looks tiny until you realize there's a fridge back there.
sw10.jpg

The Rio pump works great, but I had to do some rigging to get the venturi to work on the skimmer- which was probably built in the late 1700's. It might have been George Washington's for all I know. I stuck a few of the fittings on, that came with it, to make a pocket for the airstone, and when I tested it in saltwater, I was gratified with more foam than my dog can even muster- which is saying a lot.
sw7.jpg

Yes, I said "black vinyl tubing" earlier. It worked. And if I ever start a band, I may just call it that. I got the idea from the piece still attached to the wet/dry filter that came with the skimmers (that definitely belonged to a "founding father"). You'll notice a "T" fitting right after the ball valve... I put a down pipe that's capped to make a brace, to hold things steady... I can easily remove that whole section of pvc if it ever get's dirty/clogged.... By hitting my head, scraping my knuckles, banging my elbow... Okay, not that easy. But I CAN remove it.
sw8.jpg

(Heavy guitar riff) That black vinyl tubing goes up to the HOB overflow. I really wanted to drill and install bulkheads, but for the sake of staying budget savvy, and the fact the setup is in the garage which has floor drains, I just went with it... So, just go with it too. It'll be cool, I swear.
sw4.jpg

He's going to get a bath. And a shower. Maybe even a mani/pedi. Once he's all cleaned up, he'll stay thirsty my friends.
sw6.jpg

I have a extremely temporary return out flow just to get the system churning. Don't make fun of him. He's self-conscious and shy. (Shh, don't tell him... I ordered a real one from BRS today ($9).
sw5.jpg

So, I got that acrylic. I know glass is better, but the acrylic baffles are working great. I plopped a heater in, and a thermometer... Don't mind the price tag on the tank, that definitely was on there before it got to Goodwill.
sw3.jpg

And then another thermometer on the return end, to get a good gauge of the temperature range across the system. You'd think the water would be hotter by the return pump, rather than the protein skimmer side, but surprisingly it's not. 76 degrees on the skimmer side and 72 degrees on the return side. In other news... a mag 9.5 doing it's job well- pumping water and making noise. Don't mind the silver bracelet it's wearing (clamp), that'll come off way before the saltwater arrives.
sw2.jpg

I'll be getting the sand in, in a day or so, and hopefully the rock by this weekend. The salt was supposed to be here by now... So, I don't know when that's gonna happen. Might have to ruin someone's day over at Amazon here shortly. Hopefully, I'll have it ready for cycle no later than two weeks from now.

Back to the budget side of things... With the rubble, rock, sand and salt; all "must haves..." I am out $280. Plus I ordered and received a Sun Blaze T5 HO for $170 new. So, even with extreme budgeting, I am still up over $500 easy; I think. I don't know, I'm not good at geography.

Anyway, I will post pictures later in the wee... month? We'll see how it goes...

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This setup is real ugly on the outside.... But the inside is what counts!!!

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along to see how it all comes together.

OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so an update... I guess for myself to look back on- if anything (thanks for watching Dbl)....

I got several orders in this week. Two bags of sand from BRS (Thanks for the fast free delivery). I got 40lbs each of the special grade and fiji pink. I figured I might as well have the best of both worlds. Hopefully it isn't a scenario where I find myself blasting the old techno song "Sandstorm" by Darude, when viewing my tank.

And I got my live rock and rubble. I got a few other things, for the tank as well, like an aqualifter pump, return flow fitting, et cetera. Anyways.....

Pics of the rock, sand, and rubble in the sump.

Rubble/Sump. I pressured washed this for ten minutes. Still made a cloud though of course. Can't wait to see what the dry rock does in the MT when I add water... Pressured washed that for an hour and a half...
IMG_0353.jpg

From the left (excuse the mess- but, you know........: reefing).
IMG_0350.jpeg

And a view from the right...
IMG_0351.jpg

So there are a few caves... I'm okay with the result. I honestly will never use cement putty ever again. I should have ordered the super glue, but forgot. So I just got the cement putty from the store. It's always old and dry, and not worth the packaging it's in, no matter the brand it seems.

All in all, I am happy with getting to the point I am at, despite the ugliness of it all... For less than a $1k at that. My only real issue at the moment is my $300 RODI system for drinking purposes, under my kitchen sink, has only been affording me about 10-15 gallons a day. I only mention the price, because I feel for that amount, it should put out 50 gallons a day or more. Something to keep in mind when I install a RODI out in the garage by the tank. So it's going to be a few days before the tank is filled. I did cut all my pieces for the ATS though, and I'm excited to show my design. That will be this coming week when I post that, as I am waiting on my Weld-on 3 acrylic cement to arrive (hard stuff to buy offline).

Last edited:

Idaho-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for moldable plastic pellets on amazon, works really really well sticking rocks together and is cheap.

OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks! I joined the forum just for this reason. There is always something new to learn, and you just have to be on here and "ask" the questions... Or at least state the issues you're having. I'll order them tomorrow. Just looked them up, and I can't believe they escaped me until now. Thanks again!

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the aquascape...Nice job.

OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my RODI could sure use a booster pump. It's giving me a whopping 20 gallons a day, if I set my alarm and wake up in the middle of the night to switch out buckets. I'll definitely be putting a system out in the garage with an ATO. After two days, I am part way there... I cleaned up the huge mess I made getting everything together, and bits and pieces of that mess line the edge of the tank as you can see...

tankwater1.JPG
Talk about a random pile of crap...

I got some surge protectors installed, zip tied wires, and did a bunch of little things, that didn't seem photo worthy... until now of course. So I guess I'll have to take some shots and post those tomorrow. I did however take a couple pics of some work I did on my return pump.

I found that the Mag 9.5 was definitely the most annoying noise coming from the setup during a freshwater test run. I had a bracket that came with the Rio pump that I put on my skimmer that was left over, and I decided to re-purpose it to make the 9.5 quieter.

IMG_0355.jpg

I used a lot more silicon than what you see here. That mess on the bottom edge was just the beginning.

The bracket had suction cups for tank wall mounting, and I figured they would make a good rattle buffer. I flipped them around to the other side, as the bracket seemed like it would mount better. I ran a ton of silicon all around, and squeezed it together- but left a gap for the silicon to fill- to act as a barrier between the pump and bracket.

IMG_0356.jpg

Having completely forgot I had even put this together; hours later I scared the crap out of myself when sticking my head down in the sump area. I thought a giant
spider-like creature was resting on the edge of my sump at first peripheral glance.

I carefully zip tied the bracket to the pump, being sure to leave the gap. And a few hours later, and a nice sized knot on the back of my head, I had an extremely quiet return pump. So that's it for now... I'll be back to post more sooner than later. Thanks for looking!!

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming together nicely. The slow water production is just teaching you the patience required for this hobby...lol.

OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I never took many photos of my past tanks... I started saltwater in 93'. And I don't even know where those pics would be, since they are hard copies. But, I'm pretty patient. Been acquiring parts for this build since last September. What I have learned recently, is the need for a booster motor. LOL I've had to start drinking coffee, because it's hard to get back to sleep and I'm going on 4-5 hours of sleep a day ATM. I do have some pics though of when I started my last tank, which was a nano 10gal. I later bumped it up to a 29gal before giving it to my sister. I'll see if I can't get her to send some pics of where the tank is at now. I know she lost a few corals (I gave her a crash course in reef keeping) and gained a few. Here are some pics when I first started it
IMG_3576.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG
IMG_3652.JPG
IMG_3692.JPG
IMG_3698.JPG
IMG_3702.JPG
IMG_3706.JPG
IMG_3710.JPG
IMG_3712.JPG
IMG_3650.JPG
:

IMG_3473.JPG

OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the algae turf scrubber I made. Working with acrylic is AWESOME!

IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0388.jpg
IMG_0391.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg
IMG_0396.jpg

I cut some lids for the tank to keep fish in and reduce evaporation... Made some handles for them as well...

IMG_0398.jpg

Making the turf scrubber was definitely one of the more fun projects so far. It hangs on the side of the sump, and gets flow from the return pump. I'll probably get another pump at some point to run it dedicated to the ATS.

OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah I've been trying to stay under a grand as much as possible. I think I have so far. I have other projects/expenses at the moment. Now that I am cycling, I can focus on starting some vegetable seeds, and I have to clear the edge of the property for a fence I'm putting up. Gonna get a few head of cattle this year, and next year I'm getting bison. I got my float valve in today from BRS. Made a holder for it and got it attached to a 30gal plastic barrel doing a gravity feed. I got the wrong tubing, and therefore the fitting at the barrel is the wrong size also... So I just took some regular air line, clamped it in, and hooked it up. It'll suffice until I can run to the LHS. Once I get the right stuff, I'll drill a hole through the top of the holder, to hold the tubing; for a cleaner space.

IMG_0409.jpg

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah I've been trying to stay under a grand as much as possible.

Yep, you definitely have me beat. My goal was a grand or less. Now I'm just hoping to stay below 2. But I'm quickly approaching that limit.

With everything that I had to buy to replace what I got used on Craigslist I'm starting to think I should have just threw a couple of extra hundred and bought all brand new stuff in a package deal. That you live and learn I guess.

I will definitely be taking my time on getting fish after everything Cycles. Because at this point if there's a major malfunction it'll be awhile before I can get it fixed dude you totally blowing my budget.

OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I feel you. It's the knick knack stuff that does me in... Like buying the wrong size tubing. Did that twice now. I made sure to cut the pieces of tubing right away, so as to not be able to return them. Facepalm.

And I know what you mean about going slow on the livestock, and trying to avoid a crash and burn. Are you "feeding" your tank? I put some of those round green algae fish food pellets in today, and did the shrimp thing and the Bio-spira... I may have mentioned that on your thread. I am trying to feed the bacteria, so when it comes time to put livestock in, I'll have a massive bed of bacteria, starving for some fish poo. Really glad I wasn't born a bacteria. I won't even test my water until I see the piece of shrimp disappear. Then I'll do it again. After the second one disappears, which should happen rather quickly, I'll be able to add fish.

What I would do... And I mean that, because I have literally already done it before... Is get a saltwater molly. If your local fish store doesn't have one, you can turn a freshwater molly into a saltwater molly, by slowly acclimating it. If you have an extra tank around, maybe a HOB filter or pump and box filter... It shouldn't be too hard to do. Mollies sell for what? A buck or two at the LFS? I did that with my last tank, and it was a great "canary in a cage" for knowing if my tank was "fish ready" or not. Just something to think about. I would do it again, but my LFS wants to buy freshwater shrimp from me, so I'm getting my other tanks ready for that endeavor.

OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and another thing... I am going to start a thread right now... But I was thinking of this earlier today, and earlier in the week... About renter's insurance for my tank. I already have it, to the tune of $3500... But I haven't updated it in like 20 years... So I think I am going to take care of that, and I'll be adding a few grand in coverage for the tank. I think $8k in coverage is like $70 a year for me or something like that. Just something else to think about.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I know what you mean about going slow on the livestock, and trying to avoid a crash and burn. Are you "feeding" your tank? I put some of those round green algae fish food pellets in today, and did the shrimp thing and the Bio-spira... I may have mentioned that on your thread. I am trying to feed the bacteria, so when it comes time to put livestock in, I'll have a massive bed of bacteria, starving for some fish poo. Really glad I wasn't born a bacteria. I won't even test my water until I see the piece of shrimp disappear. Then I'll do it again. After the second one disappears, which should happen rather quickly, I'll be able to add fish.

What I would do... And I mean that, because I have literally already done it before... Is get a saltwater molly. If your local fish store doesn't have one, you can turn a freshwater molly into a saltwater molly, by slowly acclimating it. If you have an extra tank around, maybe a HOB filter or pump and box filter... It shouldn't be too hard to do. Mollies sell for what? A buck or two at the LFS? I did that with my last tank, and it was a great "canary in a cage" for knowing if my tank was "fish ready" or not. Just something to think about. I would do it again, but my LFS wants to buy freshwater shrimp from me, so I'm getting my other tanks ready for that endeavor.

No I have not started yet. As I posted on my build thread, I was working on my overflow and noticed that the bulk head was cracked and the previous owner had just silicone it.

I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere in Indiana. The closest fish store is about 25 miles away and over the last five years they have slowly been going out of business all they have is a few items for freshwater but they are so overly priced you could save about 35 to 50% by ordering online and paying for shipping.

Based on Google Maps the closest saltwater equipment store would be about a two and a half hour one way drive for me. And even then not too sure that they would carry a bulkhead.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back