Smashville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined the MTRC and will be attending the March meeting. I did my first reef tank in Collage while working for a local fish store and fell in love the hobby. I have also kept a saltwater fish only tank and a Arowana/Stingray tank but my reef tank was always my favorite. When we had our first son I sold off everything and got out of the hobby. My youngest son now 14 has been wanting a tank for some time so for Christmas I set him up a 75 gallon Tanganyika tank and have fallen back in love with the hobby. I know I want to do a reef tank and have a lot of research to do. It's amazing how technology has changed the hobby over the years. I'm currently in the planning stages and will be doing a 180 gallon 6 x 2 x 2 mixed reef tank.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to MTRC man. 180 is an awesome size tank to work with. Welcome back and be sure to ask questions here, we can all help out

OP
OP
Smashville

Smashville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a new still in the packing Aqueon 180 gallon with dual rear overflows on craigslist for $425. I'm wanted this tank to be a show piece and haven't really looked into aquarium manufacturers yet. I don't care for the black cross pieces on top, I would prefer the type that are clear to let light through. It might not make much of a difference since I'm planning on doing canopy anyway. I was thinking of budgeting around $1000 for the tank so if I could get this for around $350 or so that would be a huge savings. Your thoughts?

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back into the hobby and welcome to MTRC!!! Many, many of us have had cichlids and then transitioned into the salty side of things. Please don't be shy to ask and post questions.

I am not sure of Aqueon brand tanks to be honest. I know I've heard of the brand but not specific to tanks. I'd check reviews and forums across the Internet to see what you can find. Sure seems like a good price, but I also believe in "you pay for what you get".

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby and to MTRC!

That tank should be fine.  Don't worry about the center brace. On tanks this size, you're going to have them unless you spend several grand on a custom rimless tank. Most of us just work our lights around them or ignore them completely if using T5s.

Brandon

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Once you start getting the ball rolling make a build thread on here so we can see your progress and will also be able to make suggestions if you have questions.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was nice to meet you today Scott, now get a tank up and running!

OP
OP
Smashville

Smashville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome guys and I enjoyed meeting some of you on Saturday. I have been on the fence about doing a 180 with canopy or a 120 Reef Savvy. After talking to several of you on Saturday about rimless and my concerns about a screen I'll be doing the 180. Going with a non drilled 180 (72 x 24 x 24) and will be adding the Synergy overflow. Stand and canopy will be custom to match the ones in the house. Here is a list of my build items, Please let me know what your thoughts are and if you would change or add anything.
Synergy - over flow, sump with refugium , dosing containers and ATO container
Neptune Apex
3 - Ecotech Radion XR30W G3
2 - Ecotech MP40's Quietdrive with battery back-up
ATI Powercone 250 skimmer
Tunze Osmolator ATO
BRS dosing pumps
Eheim heater
Pukani or Reef saver dry rock
Tropic Eden Reef flakes 1.5" sand bed
Return pump - ? (must be quiet)
bio-pellot reactor - ?

OP
OP
Smashville

Smashville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention that I'll be starting off mixed with some easier corals and will be going heavy with SPS later. My plan is to start off with dosing ALK/CAL/MAG and switching to a Calcium reactor later if needed. I also have a BRS carbon reactor on my list.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Descent plan, but I would personally change a few things.

Speaking from my experience and currently converting over to a CAL Rx from dosing 2-part solutions, I would go with the reactor from the beginning. You'll kick yourself later for not starting with one and the money you've spent on dosing pumps, additives, etc. could put a large dent into the costs of a CAL Rx. I'm a huge believer in doing things right the first time.

Eheim return pumps are super quiet and reliable.

The first generation of DC pumps from all manufacturers didn't seem to do to well, but all the second generation pumps are "supposed" to be better.

Mag drives are super, super reliable but are a huge source of heat and power. You'll have to decide on which pump(s) to use.

I don't have any experience with Eheim heaters, but I would recommend Jager brand heaters as they are high quality. This is one component you don't want to go cheap on.

I like my Marco Rocks and haven't had any issues with them.

Surf the classifieds as a lot of stuff on your list is often for sale at a fraction of the cost and is barely used.

good luck. This is the fun part! spending money and the build!!!!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back