OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Meteor Shower from LA never did color up. it's been over a month in the tank in different spots, mostly shade. I saw some great colored frags of them at my LFS this weekend, so I replaced it with this frag. Color looks great from the get go.

IMG_3897.jpg

Mine still looks like hell, ha.

Hacksgirls

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shut the front door!! I received mine this morning at 10 am and by 2 it was almost completely white and the tissue was flaking/peeling off. Also ordered from LA. Received an ora green birdnest as well, totally fine. I've actually had quite a few issues with LA recently but their customer service is spectacular. I'm just super, duper happy to see you all having the same exact experience with the same exact coral from the same exact place. Let's us all know we're not crazy!

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still slowly dying. 10 weeks now. I wonder what the heck is happening to it. The instant peel is strange.

Hacksgirls

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they recover from the complete loss of color? Under my blues, the polyps are still orange/pink and glowing so I'm assuming it's still alive correct?

I could see bleaching from light exposure over some time(days) but not hours. I'm no expert on corals though. Only have kept them 7 months now.

And for the record, I'm not happy that anyone is losing any coral. I'm just relieved to have found people with the same issue.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know. It’s not bleaching. It’s literally like they are experiencing an acid bath and their skin peels off in chunks

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue peeled off and went brown, the polyps shrank and are sunken in tiny bright orange dots... two and half months, I thought it was improving, but now in think it’s slowly slowly dying.

Hacksgirls

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acid bath is correct. I could literally watch it deteriorate. Mine hasn't browned yet because this only happened hours ago. I felt like a crazy person today watching it. I guess I will see how looks in the morning.

I've lurked on R2R for a long time and this single post caused me to join! Lol!!

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they recover from the complete loss of color? Under my blues, the polyps are still orange/pink and glowing so I'm assuming it's still alive correct?

I could see bleaching from light exposure over some time(days) but not hours. I'm no expert on corals though. Only have kept them 7 months now.

And for the record, I'm not happy that anyone is losing any coral. I'm just relieved to have found people with the same issue.

Same here, the polyps are nice and vibrant under blues (except 4 that are encrusted with white (calcium?) Not sure, those 4 polyps have been that way from the beginning). I moved it to this new spot ever since getting my new one from the LFS. I'm wondering if this batch was just a different color cyphastrea listed under that category. I cant even see a hint of green on the base and I've had mine well over a month now. )

IMG_3963.PNG

Hacksgirls

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is looking much worse today. All flesh is officially gone and half the polyps are closed or closing. However the ORA green birdnest looks fantastic today! Both received yesterday. I will keep the cyphastrea as long as I see nighttime color. If and when, more like when, that happens I will sadly toss it.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyphastrea is extremely hardy. Mine is 2 yrs. old and has been stung by an anemone which left a dead area about a year ago. It healed completely in about a month. Then it tangled with a large mushroom and lost a 2 inch square of tissue. That also healed quickly. It has completely covered the rock I glued it on. As long as your chemistry is good, it will probably adjust to your tank in time. Sometimes corals are just too far gone to save, but as long as he has some healthy tissue, I think you can do it. Good luck!
I'm in the middle of this as well. It seems well documented that cyphastrea "brown out" upon introduction to a new tank and that color will return. It's utterly commonplace advice, but keep it in low light, like less than 100 par or partial shade) keep parameters stable, and leave it alone. It's my understanding that these things are TOUGH. I'd say don't worry unless you're losing polyps.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back