New Midas Blenny

dope100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just got a midas blenny and can see that when the fish is stressed they turn brown I got mine in the tank after acclimation and he's on the bottom curled up just assuming this is normal new fish behavior please let me know if it is not for this fish. I also have a melanarus wrasse has anyone had problems with those two fish thanks

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Midas Blenny. Never seen it turn brown.
Make sure to provide it a lot of rockwork with caves and holes in it. They like to find a hole that they can swim into and will spend most of their time sticking halfway out of the hole until it's feeding time. Here's a pic of mine:
IMG_8098.JPG

OP
OP
dope100

dope100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Midas Blenny. Never seen it turn brown.
Make sure to provide it a lot of rockwork with caves and holes in it. They like to find a hole that they can swim into and will spend most of their time sticking halfway out of the hole until it's feeding time. Here's a pic of mine:
IMG_8098.JPG
Nice. These guys change color depending on mood or stress apparently

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just got a midas blenny and can see that when the fish is stressed they turn brown I got mine in the tank after acclimation and he's on the bottom curled up just assuming this is normal new fish behavior please let me know if it is not for this fish. I also have a melanarus wrasse has anyone had problems with those two fish thanks
I got mine almost a month ago. Was bright yellow in the store, but got super stressed out when caught.

He changed color to a dark brown with a bunch of spots, it's just stress..even tho it looks ugly. Should be back to normal soon, just give him some time.

Make sure he has a hole to hide in, and that he gets enough to eat!

OP
OP
dope100

dope100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine almost a month ago. Was bright yellow in the store, but got super stressed out when caught.

He changed color to a dark brown with a bunch of spots, it's just stress..even tho it looks ugly. Should be back to normal soon, just give him some time.

Make sure he has a hole to hide in, and that he gets enough to eat!
Thanks. Yours yellow now?

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yours yellow now?
Bright yellow under white lights. Has a shade of peach and blue under blues.

Recently nipped the dorsal fin of one of my juvenile clowns..

Good read for all midas owners.

OP
OP
dope100

dope100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bright yellow under white lights. Has a shade of peach and blue under blues.

Recently nipped the dorsal fin of one of my juvenile clowns..

Good read for all midas owners.
How big is the tank?

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did yours not move for a few hours at first? Mines still on the sandbed
He was frozen on the sandbed for about 30 min, and then he started looking for a hole. Ever since he found the hole he never leaves it. He does perch in front all the time, but will generally leave it only on feeding time.

Good luck with your blenny and keep us updated!

OP
OP
dope100

dope100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was frozen on the sandbed for about 30 min, and then he started looking for a hole. Ever since he found the hole he never leaves it. He does perch in front all the time, but will generally leave it only on feeding time.

Good luck with your blenny and keep us updated!
Thanks. All day yesterday he sat in the same spot motionless on the sandbed, as soon as I woke up today he was closer to the liverock and now that the lights start to turn on he has found a hole in the rock and is peeking his head out. I read that they are hard to keep fed from what you replied yesterday. Any experience with this

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. All day yesterday he sat in the same spot motionless on the sandbed, as soon as I woke up today he was closer to the liverock and now that the lights start to turn on he has found a hole in the rock and is peeking his head out. I read that they are hard to keep fed from what you replied yesterday. Any experience with this
No personal experience with the starving blennies, I am still quite new to the hobby. Just make sure to feed the little guy.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this species gets to be an adult it will typically become a bully. That's normally not a problem in a large tank, but in a 35 gallon I expect you're going to have problems with it if you have other small fish.

In the wild they are very territorial to their slice of the reef, which is much bigger than the amount of rock you can fit in a 35 gallon tank.

Good luck, I'd like to hear the long term outcome of your experience. Mine was as I mentioned and so I had to rehome it.

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this species gets to be an adult it will typically become a bully. That's normally not a problem in a large tank, but in a 35 gallon I expect you're going to have problems with it if you have other small fish.

In the wild they are very territorial to their slice of the reef, which is much bigger than the amount of rock you can fit in a 35 gallon tank.

Good luck, I'd like to hear the long term outcome of your experience. Mine was as I mentioned and so I had to rehome it.
This is exactly what happened in my 32g.
He started nipping at the juvie clowns, and bit off a good piece of the female clown's fin.

Caught him and took him back to the LFS, got a pink streaked wrasse instead.

The clown's fin has since regrown, and all is well in the tank! Lesson learned.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back